Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding baby Maggie - creased nipples, ouch!

Default Re: Breastfeeding baby Maggie - creased nipples, ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    But could someone please come and take Joe out of here and show him a good time? He's on my very last nerve right now, and I feel guilty that I have so little patience and attention to offer him.
    Isnt this why your DH is a sahd and your brother can help out too even if he is just hanging in your newly suburbanized garden.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    It may not feel like it, but things are going easier for you and Maggie because it is your second time. You knew enough to ask those questions and not just tough it out. You knew that there was something wrong and you have sought the help that you needed from the best places to get the information because it is the second time. Hang in there, I am sending pain-free nursing thoughts your way!!
    And your experience is invaluable on here, too. Being able to pass the information on in a few short weeks is hopefully going to help make it worth it, too. You know, in case a happy nursing relationship wasn't going to be enough. Just think of the women on the forums!

You guys will get there. And it won't be painful forever. Already you've addressed the issue sooner than a first time mom ever would have, so you're spades ahead. :

The LC's positioning advice seems to be helping a little bit - by the way, she basically suggested laid-back breastfeeding, just like Meg and JoEllen suggested. But she offered some advice on exact placement and arrangement that really helped. Hands on help really makes a difference!

Sarale, I think DH is going to take Joe to the zoo tomorrow or something. I'm this close to posting something on FB that says, "We don't need food. What we need is people who will play with Joe!!" He's so hungry for attention and acting out ALL. THE. TIME. It's exhausting!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    The LC's positioning advice seems to be helping a little bit - by the way, she basically suggested laid-back breastfeeding, just like Meg and JoEllen suggested. But she offered some advice on exact placement and arrangement that really helped. Hands on help really makes a difference!

Sarale, I think DH is going to take Joe to the zoo tomorrow or something. I'm this close to posting something on FB that says, "We don't need food. What we need is people who will play with Joe!!" He's so hungry for attention and acting out ALL. THE. TIME. It's exhausting!
    want me to post it for you
    yup I do not remember it fondly at all. Given D's age and the fact that my mom was staying with us I ended up having D all the time H wasnt nursing.

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Okay, my sister and some other friends are coming over with their kids with the express purpose of entertaining Joe, so I'm feeling less stressed about that.

But breastfeeding this baby is EXCRUCIATING. Gah. I feel like I need morphine or something just to get through a feeding. As of this morning, my nipples are scabbed and bloody. It's harder to get the positioning right in a side lying position. I'm trying to get through the early engorgement phase without pumping, but this is HARD. I'm doing lanolin with a drop of polysporin ointment to hopefully ward off infection. This is EFFED. It hurts so bad!! Of course I'm hoping her pediatrician will snip the tongue tie today, but my LC warned me she probably wouldn't want to deal with it, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Do you have any wound gel? I cannot remember what it was called but it was a gel sheet maybe 1/8 inch or less thick and i hade little squares of it I kept on my cracked and bloody nipples all the time I wasnt nursing. It really really helped. The hospital LC gave it to me.

Family beds are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    Do you have any wound gel? I cannot remember what it was called but it was a gel sheet maybe 1/8 inch or less thick and i hade little squares of it I kept on my cracked and bloody nipples all the time I wasnt nursing. It really really helped. The hospital LC gave it to me.
    I've been using gel pads, but I only started that last night. Hopefully they will help me get through the next few days while I work on getting the underlying issues resolved. I know I can do this, because I did it before, with Joe, and that time I really didn't have any frame of reference for any of it (I didn't know that it would one day get better, you know? I was just hoping!), but ugh.

You can call me JoMo!

JoMo: exceedingly gentle hugs. I've been there. I'd rather have natural childbirth a hundred times in a row than nurse on deep cracks. It's like sticking your finger into an electrical outlet, over and over and over again, with no option to stop. Here's what helped me:
    - Try to latch her on early, before she's really hungry. You'll have a better chance of getting her to open wide when she isn't really hungry and isn't yet doing that frantic head-bobbing, mouth-opening-and-closing, screaming hungry thing.
    - Hydrate your cracks- the softer the scabs, the less pain when they tear open again. Lanolin, gel pads (Soothies is the brand I used), keep the humidity in the house high, soak the scabs using a wet washcloth or by immersing your nipples in a shot glass of warm water for 30-60 seconds before latching baby on.
    - Use a combination of 1% hydocortisone cream and Bacitracin antibiotic ointment to combat inflammation and infection. Use a pea-sized amount, mixed and applied using a clean finger. Does not have to be washed off before nursing.

I think your history of oversupply may be a blessing right now. When baby's latch is so bad that it's tearing mom to shreds, milk transfer has to be a concern, and oversupply usually means it's easier for baby to get sufficient milk even when her latch isn't what is should be. So in addition to everything else you have going on right now, I hope you'll watch Maggie's diapers a little more vigilantly than you otherwise might. I know my first kid's latch problems eventually showed up in scanty, watery green poops and a very low number of pee diapers.

Hang in there!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think your history of oversupply may be a blessing right now. When baby's latch is so bad that it's tearing mom to shreds, milk transfer has to be a concern, and oversupply usually means it's easier for baby to get sufficient milk even when her latch isn't what is should be. So in addition to everything else you have going on right now, I hope you'll watch Maggie's diapers a little more vigilantly than you otherwise might. I know my first kid's latch problems eventually showed up in scanty, watery green poops and a very low number of pee diapers.
    Yeah, agreed - I am grateful that this, at any rate, is not a problem. LC gave me permission to do breast compressions during feedings to speed up the feedings (and reduce the wear and tear on the nips). Her stools are yellow and seedy, she's soaking diapers, and all is well in that department. Luckily for her, she doesn't need to actually SUCK to get milk from me, because it comes out like a firehose.

You can call me JoMo!

Well, the pedi wouldn't do anything, saying that she only snipped the most simple cases and Maggie's case wasn't that. Of ccourse she implied there was no problem and suggested a nipple shield and pumping. Still have an ENT appointment for Tuesday. Blaaaaaaah.

You can call me JoMo!