Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding baby Maggie - creased nipples, ouch!

Default Re: Breastfeeding baby Maggie - creased nipples, ouch!

Wow congrats! Maggie was my mom's name

I second the laid back idea. Over and over I have seen it help with painful latch/shallow latch. Remember this "position' is actually a wide range of positions for both mama and baby and can be tweaked endlessly to make it work for you.

http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

Some tt that is not immediately visible may be diagnosed by doing a finger sweep under the tongue, this is called the "Murphy Maneuver" http://bfmed.wordpress.com/2010/11/0...ng-tongue-tie/

I'm hanging out on the couch doing some "biological nurturing" right now. It seems like she's getting a good mouthful, but it still hurts. But at this point, I think my nipples are pretty sore and beat up and it's hard to tell what's latch and what's just soreness. I'm definitely going to keep trying new things. Thanks ladies!!

P.S. Based on that link, Meg, I think it's very possible Maggie has a tongue tie. Her little under-tongue frenulum is really tight.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; July 10th, 2012 at 11:13 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

With H we had a textbook looking latch. And PAIN. And very deep cracks by day 2. I looked for tongue ties too and had the LC check. It was out pedi who noticed her very high palate and mentioned that it must be painful to nurse. The LC gave me some amazing wound healing gel sheets that healed it all up. The pain continued until she grew enough (right before we got thrush ).
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

confession... i had sore cracked scabby nipples with all 5 newborns.
    even though I knew how to nurse, alas the infants were driven but clueless.
    breastfeeding is a learning experience.
    For us, it just took time to work out the kinks.
    You and Maggie will too.
    Do you sing to her 'Wake up Maggie. I think I got something to say to you..."
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Yes! The link to the Murphy Maneuver that LLLMeg posted was what I couldn't think of last night! (Thank you, pregnancy brain.)

I hope today is better for you & Maggie! Can you get in to see someone to have the possible tongue-tie checked out?
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

LLLMeg, that's a great link! Wish I could go back in time and try the Murphy Maneuver on my firstborn. I still wonder if she was tongue-tied, despite 2 lactation consultants saying that she was not.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    confession... i had sore cracked scabby nipples with all 5 newborns.
    even though I knew how to nurse, alas the infants were driven but clueless.
    breastfeeding is a learning experience.
    For us, it just took time to work out the kinks.
    You and Maggie will too.
    Do you sing to her 'Wake up Maggie. I think I got something to say to you..."
    JoMo - you will be getting a lot of references to this song - ha ha! My baby's name is also Margaret (goes by Maggie) and she was such a sleepy baby that DH and I had this song in our heads for about 7 weeks!

How are things going today??
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

You're describing nursing for me with every newborn. For me, it's been that teeny newborn mouth. It's just not big enoughf or like a week. Ouch. Demonstrate opening when she is awake and not upset.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well, I actually feel like things are getting a bit better. Nursing still hurts, throughout the session, but it seems to be getting less painful, rather than more painful? My milk is coming in and Maggie is getting lots of fluids (peeing, and spitting up a ton!) so that's good. I will probably have oversupply again, from the looks of it, but I haven't gotten painfully engorged yet. The good part of that is that I don't have to worry about her not getting enough!

But, check this out - possible lip tie too? (sorry for the bad photo)

I have an appointment with my wonderful LC tomorrow morning! YAY! And I called the pedi, and I have an ENT appt on Friday, so if the LC says there's a tongue tie, and things aren't improving by then, we can get it looked at and possibly clipped ASAP. (P.S. Gotta love Northern California. I know many doctors are skeptical about tongue tie, etc., but when I called our pedi, she was like "Oh yeah, let's get that taken care of!" I'm not even sure that's the issue, but no one made me feel doubted or blown off. On the other hand, the hospital LC was so useless! She offered me a nipple shield, and I was like, um, NO. I know more than you do! Please excuse me ... )

Maggie is definitely waking up - she's more alert and more fussy today!
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; July 11th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

It does look like she may have an upper lip tie. Does her upper lip flare out around your nipple when she latches or does it curl in? From my understanding of upper lip ties they often are not a problem if the frenulum is long. Both of my LO's have them and they never caused any problems with nursing since their lips were still free enough to move. They both have a gap between the front teeth that will need to be addressed eventually when they get braces.