Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding baby Maggie - creased nipples, ouch!

Default Re: Breastfeeding baby Maggie - creased nipples, ouch!

That's what my guy's upper lip looked like (well, still looks like, 'cept with brand new chompers!) and his lip always curled in. I think that was part of my cracked nipples problem. We never did anything about it, not realizing until my problems were mostly over, but I let him tuck his lip in, rather than out, and that seemed to help.

My midwife took a look this afternoon (she's also a lactation consultant, although since that's not her main gig, I feel like her advice is often a bit outdated - still, she's got the basics) and she said she didn't think the lip tie was a huge problem since it looked like Maggie was indeed flaring her upper lip out while feeding. However, she also looked at the tongue and said, "Yeah, her frenulum does look really tight. That could definitely be an issue. Let me know what your LC and ENT say about that, I'm curious." She "loves" my lactation consultant. Everyone does. She has been repeatedly recommended to me (by my regular doctor and pediatrician, and now my midwife) as "one of the best in town." So I'm really interested to hear what she has to say.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

JoMo, I'm struggling here, too. I could tell before the cord was even cut that Finley had a TT. I got it clipped the day after she was born...she also have a level 4 lip tie, but she can still flare out her lip so that doesn't seem to be an issue. She latches perfectly on my right side, but my left side is excruciating for the first 10-15 seconds of latching. And my nipples comes out creased right down the middle. I'm not torn or damaged...just tender/sore. We're still working through it. I saw the LC today at WIC. She worked with me. I can seem to get the deepest/best latch using the football hold. I think her mouth is just so tiny that she's having a hard time opening wide enough for my massive boobs. Shiloh was 10lbs a week after birth...so he was a breeze to latch. But I do remember this same pain with Joey. It just took diligence of latching/unlatching and time for her mouth to get bigger.

Hang in there, I'm right there with you!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    confession... i had sore cracked scabby nipples with all 5 newborns.
    even though I knew how to nurse, alas the infants were driven but clueless.
    breastfeeding is a learning experience.
    For us, it just took time to work out the kinks.
    You and Maggie will too.
    Do you sing to her 'Wake up Maggie. I think I got something to say to you..."
    but make that 4 newborns
    I went braless and often shirtless for 1-2 weeks, alternated cross cradle and football,tried our best with the latch. after every feeding (excrucuiating when scabs broke open, then better) i wiped off the saliva, rubbed in some breastmilk, air dried, and covered in lanolin. I also took mega doses of lecithin and probiotics. they were healed and we were fine after 2 weeks.
    Pak

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Lactation consultant says she has tongue tie, lip tie, and high palate. Excuse me while I go cry now.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

hugs to you JoMagMo
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Oh JoMo, I am so sorry! I know identifying the problem is a good first step, but those are 3 not-fun problems to have.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well, I do feel validated, at least. I knew this was more than just small mouth issues. But it's really discouraging, too. I had such high hopes that things would go easier the second time.

Now I have to tough it out until I can at least get the tongue snipped (LC says that's the priority). Hopefully tomorrow but more likly Tuesday.

You can call me JoMo!

It may not feel like it, but things are going easier for you and Maggie because it is your second time. You knew enough to ask those questions and not just tough it out. You knew that there was something wrong and you have sought the help that you needed from the best places to get the information because it is the second time. Hang in there, I am sending pain-free nursing thoughts your way!!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    JoMagMo
    I missed this before, and it's really cute.

Thanks for the pep talk. I know you're right. My boobs are rock hard and engorged, my milk is coming in, and I'm a hormonal mess. At least this time, I know to expect hormonal mess on days 3-4 PP, so I have that perspective.

But could someone please come and take Joe out of here and show him a good time? He's on my very last nerve right now, and I feel guilty that I have so little patience and attention to offer him.

You can call me JoMo!