Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my milk BAD?

Default Is my milk BAD?

Hello there ladies. LO is 11 weeks today, EBF, normal diapers, pretty much normal stuff up until this point, if you check some of my earlier threads...He did spike a temp when he got his 1 month shots but it was short lived, also dealing with a little silent reflux as well, using Zantac. (Awful taste! )
    Anyway, had a very VERY busy weekend with a lot of family visiting. The babe was passed around A LOT and was around lots of kiddos. So yesterday he was very sleepy, still wanted to nurse so I wasnt too concerned, just consulted w Mom and we assumed he was just worn out from weekend... but in the early evening he had a low grade fever,99.4 under arm, add 1 degree if Im not mistaken, so really 100.4. I gave him tylenol twice through the night and it went down quickly. Monitored him every couple hours through night, no fever. Woke up this morning, he spiked one again, just 99.3 so we went to see Pediatrician pronto. Ears checked out fine, no little toofers yet, checked all normal stuff. ( Just fyi, she is pro-bf, nursed 3 babies, but just not fully educated and Im ok with that because she LISTENS, doesnt use any 'formulas' for development or feeding schedules, and she doesnt get too excited over little things) Anyway, she just said it may be viral, and just to keep giving tylenol to keep fever down and it should run its course in a few days. My question is- Is my milk 'bad' or not the real stuff that would keep my baby from being sick? He seems lethargic and earlier this morning wasnt interested in nursing as much. Its just hard seeing my baby feel bad, and I want him to be as healthy as possible. Also, I have some colostrum ( I think, its yellowish) from early on when I was ill-advised to pump ALL THE TIME and it is almost 2 months old at this point, in the freezer. What about giving him that to help him get over this more quickly? He has never had a bottle, just syringes. Please feel free to advise me as I know a lot of you ladies have BTDT. I appreciate it!!!!
    Erin

Default Re: Is my milk BAD?

No your milk isn't bad!! I would just nurse nurse nurse and not worry about the colostrum or anything. Babies get sick, they get viruses, etc.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommylove View Post
    My question is- Is my milk 'bad' or not the real stuff that would keep my baby from being sick?
    No, your milk is definitely NOT bad. Breastfed babies get sick like everyone else. It's just that the immunological elements present in breastmilk helps protect them from infection by some things and to helps them fight off some things (while breastfed babies get sick, they don't tend to stay sick as long as non-breastfed babies). But breastmilk doesn't protect your baby from everything - for some pathogens if you haven't been infected, you won't produce the proper antibodies to fight them so those antibodies won't show up in your milk. Also, while some of the antibodies in breastmilk have been identified, it's not know what the complete set of immune factors are or even what all of those immune factors do (in you as well as in your baby). And even given an immunity, bugs tend to develop resistances to our immunities so people in general (including breastfed babies) will always run a risk of getting sick upon exposure to infectious agents.

My son was sick all. winter. long. Not because my milk is "bad", but because he was around other kids being exposed to all sorts of foreign bugs. It's a drag, but it happens.

He seems lethargic and earlier this morning wasnt interested in nursing as much.
    This is normal for a sick infant. How much do you eat when you're not feeling well? Just try to nurse him as much as he will accept, keep an eye on diapers to make sure there is no dehydration, and do your best to keep the fever down and keep him comfortable. A lukewarm bath can help bring fever down too.

Also, I have some colostrum ( I think, its yellowish) from early on when I was ill-advised to pump ALL THE TIME and it is almost 2 months old at this point, in the freezer. What about giving him that to help him get over this more quickly?
    I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try, but I think your current milk might be best; particularly if you were exposed to the same bug, but your body is successfully fighting off infection. In that case your current milk will have more appropriate antibodies for fighting the specific bug.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Your milk is FINE. I know people say "Oh, breastfed babies never get sick!" which is just silly, because breastfed babies get sick all the time. They just get sick somewhat less often than formula-fed ones, and for not as long- statistically speaking, that is. Just keep nursing: as the PPs said, your milk is full of antibodies to whatever is making your LO ill.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with pps

I am so sorry your baby is ill, but please rest assured not only is your milk not 'bad' it is the very best thing for your baby 'in sickness and in health."

Article that may be helpful: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../baby-illness/