Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: A few questions...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    25

    Default A few questions...

    My son has never ended a nursing session by pushing my nipple out of his mouth. Up until a week or so ago, he was never done nursing. Now, there are times when he seems to be done because he looks in the other direction and pops off my breast. He will go back to the breast a second later only to pop back off again 2 sucks later. The cycle continues until I end the nursing session, which is usually because he pulls away while clamping down. I tell him "no biting mama" but I often wonder if he related what I've said to him clamping down. He bites at other times but this happens most often and hurts the worst.

    Is there a way to teach my 6 month old son to push the nipple out of his mouth when he's done nursing? Is it okay to end the nursing session when he gets distracted and pulling off continuously? Could he be pulling off and biting because he wants to end the nursing session?

    I read the tips on what to do when a baby bites but I can't seem to catch him in time to unlatch him before he bites. Usually he bites as he's unlatching. When he bites while remaining latched, I unlatch him, tell him not to bite, and put him down. I think he may be teething but is it possible that he's done nursing and that's just his way of telling me? He always goes back to the breast if I let him after he's pulled off but he seems very uninterested in nursing.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere in Ohio
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: A few questions...

    Sounds like a typical 6 mo old. Babies this age are very distracted. I find a lot of moms, including myself, begin to get sore nipples because of the constant latch and unlatching along with nursing gymnastics. Sometimes trying to get into a quiet area with no distrations can help. Or using a blanket or nursing cover if he is ok with something like that will help keep him interested in nursing. I have heard that babies who are teething are uncomfortable nursing which can cause the latch, unlatching... Some moms try pain reliever before a nursing and sometimes that can help.
    Passed my CLC exam!

    Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: A few questions...

    There are times when he's distracted because he's heard a noise but what I'm asking about is when we are in a quiet, dark room with no distractions. He pops off as if to get away only to latch back on a couple seconds later. He's not really popping off to look at something. He doesn't really seem to be interested in nursing anymore. That's why I was wondering if that could be his way of telling me that he was done nursing. As I said above, he will do this over and over again until I end the session, usually after he bites. Sometimes I'll end it if he does the '2 seconds on, 2 seconds off' for so long that it seems like he really isn't interested. When I end the session, whether it's because he keeps popping off or biting me, he's usually content with me putting him in his crib for bed (or a nap). So, could he be doing this to let me know that he's done nursing?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    855

    Default Re: A few questions...

    Your LO is probably very efficient at getting what he needs in a short amount of time.
    by following his cues you will know when and if he needs to nurse more or longer.
    if he is fussy and popping off for the last final minutes of a nursing session that could be his way of saying."All Done."
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Shakedown St.
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: A few questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*happylilbabygirl View Post
    There are times when he's distracted because he's heard a noise but what I'm asking about is when we are in a quiet, dark room with no distractions. He pops off as if to get away only to latch back on a couple seconds later. He's not really popping off to look at something. He doesn't really seem to be interested in nursing anymore.
    My son did a lot of that for awhile, and it was pretty annoying. I think that it is still distractibility even if it is not a specific thing that is distracting him. With mine it seemed to be something like, "nursing is okay, but how do I know there's not something better going on around here somewhere." I wore nursing necklaces which sometimes helped. I also nursed him while walking around with him in the Ergo. I liked that carrier a lot for distractibility because there is a hood that helps keep distractions covered (which could be something as minor as a crack in the wall).

    As mine got older he got way more into nursing again. By 7-8 months he wasn't pulling away so much. By 9-10 months he would clap or do a little dance if I asked him if he wanted to nurse even though he was so uninterested when he was younger.

    Keep an eye on diaper output and weight gain if you are worried that he isn't getting enough milk, but babies are often pretty efficient by 6 months as previously mentioned. If I recall correctly, you've been dealing with overactive letdown and that makes for super fast feedings too - my son got plenty of milk from one breast in just a few minutes. That could have something to do with it too, and again my son grew to love nursing despite any of that.

    At any rate, what you are describing sounds pretty normal. I think the best thing to do is stick it out, and odds are your baby will become more enthusiastic about nursing once he is more familiar with the world around him and the ideas bouncing around in his own head.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: A few questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    Your LO is probably very efficient at getting what he needs in a short amount of time.
    by following his cues you will know when and if he needs to nurse more or longer.
    if he is fussy and popping off for the last final minutes of a nursing session that could be his way of saying."All Done."
    Thank you

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: A few questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    My son did a lot of that for awhile, and it was pretty annoying. I think that it is still distractibility even if it is not a specific thing that is distracting him. With mine it seemed to be something like, "nursing is okay, but how do I know there's not something better going on around here somewhere." I wore nursing necklaces which sometimes helped. I also nursed him while walking around with him in the Ergo. I liked that carrier a lot for distractibility because there is a hood that helps keep distractions covered (which could be something as minor as a crack in the wall).

    As mine got older he got way more into nursing again. By 7-8 months he wasn't pulling away so much. By 9-10 months he would clap or do a little dance if I asked him if he wanted to nurse even though he was so uninterested when he was younger.

    Keep an eye on diaper output and weight gain if you are worried that he isn't getting enough milk, but babies are often pretty efficient by 6 months as previously mentioned. If I recall correctly, you've been dealing with overactive letdown and that makes for super fast feedings too - my son got plenty of milk from one breast in just a few minutes. That could have something to do with it too, and again my son grew to love nursing despite any of that.

    At any rate, what you are describing sounds pretty normal. I think the best thing to do is stick it out, and odds are your baby will become more enthusiastic about nursing once he is more familiar with the world around him and the ideas bouncing around in his own head.
    Yes, we have been dealing with an overactive letdown. I think that I had an oversupply issue as well. I've been watching his diaper output because he hadn't had enough then went about 12 hours without peeing at all. I started offering to nurse more often when he wasn't attempting to nurse and started waking him up at night to nurse. His diapers are back on track now but I still watch his diaper output like a hawk. I was so used to him nursing non-stop all day long that it seems weird that he'd be done in 5 minutes but sometimes it seems that he is. He does love nursing though! I just ordered nursing/teething necklaces so I hope that works with him being distracted. I guess that I worry that I'm forcing him to nurse when he really doesn't want to. Thank you

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •