Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doctor is pushing formula! Help please!

Default Re: Doctor is pushing formula! Help please!

Exactly! Good luck. Glad you are feeling more confident.

I think you have a good plan going. I don't know that I'd offer yogurt after every feeding- at 9 months most of baby's diet is supposed to be breastmilk, not solids. Of course, you want to concentrate on offering higher-calorie solids, but you don't need to push them to the extent that they replace breastmilk.
    A couple additional things you could try:
    - Night-nursing. Your baby is sleeping a good long stretch at night, but if you wake him a time or two in that stretch it could add up to quite a lot of calorie intake.
    - Double-cream bottles: if your baby will take a breastmilk bottle, try allowing the milk from one pumping session to separate, and then pour the cream from one bottle into a second bottle of expressed milk, and give that bottle to baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have no real advice just that my son was 7lb 1oz at birth, and I just looked up his nine month checkup he was 16lbs 4oz. As long as he is meeting milestones, he is fine. They can’t all be in the 50%. Remember if he’s in the 5% that means 5 out of 100 babies are smaller than him. Over the whole country that’s a lot of babies.
    One thing I have found with doctors is if you don’t seem worried they seem less worried as well. Like when the doctor makes a comment just smile and say “yes he’s built like his father” or something else you’re comfortable saying.

So I am also in the same boat my sons Dr. is saying hes under weight. I dont see it he is putting on weight like I did as a baby his daddy did and his sister. He comes from a family who is just skinny. My son is happy healthy he is growing how he should hes just a long lean kid like everyone else in the family. I know its hard with the military my daughter was seen on base they made me go see a nutritionist for her when she was a baby to fatten her up. I got tips like feed her foods she can dip offer ranch dressing and ketchup with everything add sugar to the ketchup .... feed her less veggies and fruit. I had all ready did what they wanted and moved her to formula only to have her stay very lean so I ignored there advice on trying to fatten her up. I am now starting to think though Dr.s rather see fat babies since my friends son is 6 months old is 20 pounds and is formula/sold feed now and has been since 4 months. Her Dr tells her that her son is under weight. I would just keep doing what you are doing as long as he is healthy happy meeting milestones and putting on some sort of weight. If you live more than 30 mins from a MTF you can go off base. You can also request to move the child off base tricare might or might not ok the reason why. It is doable though you just have to fight for it I just dont remember how I did it when I did live on post.

FWIW it sounds like my son is on the same growth track as yours (though mine is unusually tall, heh). My doctor is not concerned and won't even tell me the percentages, hehe. He says what matters is if the baby is on a consistent growth pattern - if they start out really high, gain well, then suddenly fall, that could indicate a problem but he says as long as growth is consistent it's fine.

If you want some reassurance, you MAY want to look up the WHO growth charts - rather than being one big growth chart they're separated out for gender and breastfeeding - you may find for breastfed boys, your son is a higher % than he'd be on a standard US growth chart that includes formula babies. For instance, I just looked at the CDC (US) growth chart, and my son is between 3-5% on there. On the WHO chart for breastfed boys, he's closer to the 10%.

I also think (and this is just a theory from watching other parents in my DC, etc) a lot of babies are overfed, pushed to eat solids early, and given quite a lot, which skews the whole chart upward (remember, it's based on statistics of the population of babies - not some magic number that babies "should" be. So if there are a lot of fat babies, the table will reflect that). Just because there are a LOT of heavy/big babies doesn't mean your son is underweight.

With your guy so active, hitting his milestones well, and happy, I doubt very much there is any kind of problem. Love your husband's perspective on it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sweetdarling1983 View Post
    I got tips like feed her foods she can dip offer ranch dressing and ketchup with everything add sugar to the ketchup .... feed her less veggies and fruit.
    Gee, and we wonder why there's an obesity problem in this country....

My daughter was born at the 5%-ile for weight and basically has stayed there ever since (with a little deviation either way).

She's small, dad and I aren't big, so we got comfortable with the idea that that's just the way she is. I stressed about it a lot in the begining and just got over it. Now that I've had my son who's an eater and a big boy I can appreciate that she's just different and it wasn't that I wasn't offering enough or didn't have enough, she just was doing what was right for her!
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

Just a thought on high-calorie foods to offer - avacado. Great food to offer little ones. Although I agree whole-heartedly that breastmilk should still be the primary source of nutrition, and should be until 12 months of age. All great advice given!
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03