Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doctor is pushing formula! Help please!

Unhappy Doctor is pushing formula! Help please!

I have been battling my child being "underweight" since his 4 month check-up. He is now 9 mos and is in the bottom 5%. He is completely breastfed with him just in the last week starting eating solids (he would have nothing to do with them). He nurses at will and I am a stay at home mom. He is VERY active and just started taking steps by himself in the last week. The doctor said today it is time to start formula to get his weight up. I have tried nursing him and then trying to feed him formula once before and all he did was spit it up and make him super gassy. It was a miserable experience. He seems very happy and healthy but just doesn't make the "charts." I will try anything but formula is my LAST RESORT. HELP! SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!

Default Re: Doctor is pushing formula! Help please!

A few questions:
    How often does he eat in a 24 hr period?
    How many wet and dirty diapers does he have in a day?
    How long does he take during a feeding?
    What did he weigh at birth and what does he weigh now?
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Can you get a second opinion from another doctor who is known to be breastfeeding-friendly?

He eats every 3 hours, except he sleeps from midnight til 6am. He poops at least once a day, but often has 2. He has about 6 wet diapers a day. He only nurses for 5-8 minutes during the day, but he nurses like it is a race (he wants to go play :-/ ) He weighed 6 lbs 14oz at birth and now weights 15 lbs 9oz. He really has been eating food much better the last week, but it seems I have to MAKE him nurse. I have actually tried giving him bottles of expressed breast milk after feedings (like they want me to do with formula) but he thinks he is done and will have nothing to do with it. We are in the military, so moving doctor's offices takes an act of God himself, so I would have to pay out of pocket to take him elsewhere, which I might just have to do....

Good questions from the PP. Three more:
    - Are you and baby's daddy smaller, slenderer people? Small parents often have small babies.
    - Is baby healthy, happy, and growing in height and head circumference?
    - Is your doctor using the new charts for breastfed babies, or the old ones for formula-fed babies? (The growth patterns are very different for formula-fed vs. breastfed infants, and a lot of your doctor's concern may be explained by lack of familiarity with the normal growth trajectory of breastfed babies. One thing that happens with breastfed babies is that they "lean out" somewhere around the middle of the first year, usually dropping percentiles on the charts as they become more mobile, devoting more calories to action instead of packing them on as fat. Highly active babies tend to lean out faster and earlier than more sedentary ones. My pediatrician says that this occurs "because breastfed babies can't have a bottle hanging out of their mouth all day". )

Just to reassure you, there is absolutely nothing intrinsically wrong with being in the 5th percentile if the baby is otherwise healthy and growing. Statistically speaking, there are just as many healthy babies in the 5th percentile as in the 95th, just as many in the 1st percentile as in the 99th, just as many in the 75th as in the 25th. While it's easy to have a big baby, believe me when I say that having a child who is contiunously on the large side becomes a mixed blessing once infancy passes! You get concerned glances and stern lectures about the epidemic of childhood obesity...

ETA: just read your update and I am sorry that changing docs is such a hassle- especially since I think you should do it! I know my friends who are military wives have had... At best mixed experiences with the medical care available to them on base or through TriCare.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am 5'9" and weight 125 and daddy is 6' and weighs 165. I was the shortest kid in a class of 400 til the 7th grade. My mom said I was tiny as a baby and really short...thought I would only be 5 foot or so. He is using the WHO charts so it seems correct. He is very healthy and happy in my opinion....other than hating naps and bedtime. He is in the 45% in height but has always had a tiny head (just like me and his father!)

I wound up having to supplement, as I wasn't making more than 3 oz every 2-3 hours. DD wouldn't get near formula on it's own, but I have finally, successfully gotten her to take 1 oz of formula with 3 oz of bm, while away from me. We are also using 1tsp of rice cereal, in the bottle, per every ounce, due to severe acid reflux. I still exclusively bf her, when we are together. I was told to pump as much as possible to increase my milk, but DD figured out that the sound of the pump means milk, so I was only able to pump when she wasn't around, which didn't really help. I also tried Fenugreek, which did help increase my supply for a day or 2, same with Mother's milk plus. Even with as much as she has always spit up, this combo has really helped her weight. It was very hard to supplement with the formula, much crying and doubt on my part, but, I had to keep reminding myself that I was still giving her everything I was able to give her, when we were together. Aside from that, you are your child's advocate. You know what is best. Have a real heart to heart with your dr and let them know your beliefs and ask what they can do to help you stick to those beliefs. You are doing a great job and are a great mother. Hope this helps.

Geez, 5'9" and 125? I'm 5'8" and weigh... Let's just say a LOT more than you. More than your DH, too, for that matter.

Based on the fact that you and your baby's dad are slender people, it's not too surprising that your baby is slender, too. Especially when you were yourself a tiny baby. Seriously, I think that when baby is otherwise healthy and happy, you just wait out the concern from the medical establishment. I promise, in a few years you're going to be congratulated on having a slender, muscular kid instead of a porker.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with PP. He's more than doubled his birthweight and is now active, so if he's hitting milestones and still growing, I would take it with a grain of salt. DD1 has been in the bottom 3% since birth . She's ahead in school and healthy as an ox (95% in height)!

Between your genetics, and his general health and demeanor, I'd try not to look at the percentages unless another factor becomes concerning, as well. As long as he is growing and still gaining, I wouldn't be too concerned with him not being the largest baby on the block.

I will say the times it has concerned me a little is when she has (rarely) gotten sick. The only downside to a lower weight is that in the event of illness they don't really have a lot of cushion to lose. But even when she's dropped a pound because of a stomach bug, she has gained it back quickly. It just meant being a little more diligent about keeping up with fluids and nutrition around those times.

ETA: I see you'd like suggestions, not just good vibes, so here is what we did to try and increase her weight a bit. Yogurt. Full fat greek yogurt mixed with fruit purees and veggies to sweeten it. It has a ton of protein and good fats for baby and 9 months should be ok to add it to his diet. Otherwise, the YoBaby stuff is also pretty high in protein and good fats and most babies love the stuff.
    Last edited by @llli*aphimama; July 10th, 2012 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks everybody for your time. I am going to trust my instincts and just do what we do. Aphimama- I forgot he was just sick with a chest cold and was a TERRIBLE eater for a week because the steroids and antibiotics this doc put him on (which I really questioned if I should give him) made his stomach upset. This could really have changed his weigh in today as well. I am going to really encourage him to nurse every 2 1/2 hours and offer some yogurt mixture after every feeding. My husband says that somebody has to be in the bottom 5%....why not him?