Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 month old waking up every 40mins at night to nurse...

Default 7 month old waking up every 40mins at night to nurse...

My guy began teething a month ago, and woke up frequently in pain and discomfort. A week after he cut his first tooth, he began cutting his second, so I spent about 2 weeks comforting him through the night (co-sleeping, nursing for comfort to sleep, etc) and I am afraid that I started a bad habit. He has been unable to return to his previous sleep pattern (waking 2-3x a night) and has been waking up after almost every sleep cycle (40min-1hour tops). I'm exhausted. When he wakes up he insists on nursing, so I have been trying to have my DH help, but this usually makes my guy more frustrated and we both end up nursing anyways, just for him to awake 40 minutes later. When placed in the crib he will often get up on all fours (even if he was droopy eyed and dozing) and start rocking-- he's in the process of learning to crawl. He's eating solids like a champ (we are practicing baby led solids) and overall having good days, but it seems like nap time has become more of a challenge than usual and nighttime is a nightmare. I'm beginning to be at the end of my rope and would love any suggestions. :/

Default Re: 7 month old waking up every 40mins at night to nurse...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shawyant View Post
    My guy began teething a month ago, and woke up frequently in pain and discomfort. A week after he cut his first tooth, he began cutting his second, so I spent about 2 weeks comforting him through the night (co-sleeping, nursing for comfort to sleep, etc) and I am afraid that I started a bad habit. He has been unable to return to his previous sleep pattern (waking 2-3x a night) and has been waking up after almost every sleep cycle (40min-1hour tops). I'm exhausted. When he wakes up he insists on nursing, so I have been trying to have my DH help, but this usually makes my guy more frustrated and we both end up nursing anyways, just for him to awake 40 minutes later. When placed in the crib he will often get up on all fours (even if he was droopy eyed and dozing) and start rocking-- he's in the process of learning to crawl. He's eating solids like a champ (we are practicing baby led solids) and overall having good days, but it seems like nap time has become more of a challenge than usual and nighttime is a nightmare. I'm beginning to be at the end of my rope and would love any suggestions. :/
    I recommend the book The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. I loved this book with my 9 year old daughter was a baby and still refer back to it now when my son has problems sleeping.

Have you tried cosleeping? I bet when he starts crawling that this will taper off.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Co-sleeping. I don't know how anyone gets any sleep otherwise, when going through teething and the whole learning-to-roll-rock-sit-crawl-walk process.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I usually tuck him into bed towards darn (4am-ish). While I think it may help us sleep better, I'm not sure it will really help in the long run-- won't he just want to nurse even more? I don't mind nursing at night, AT ALL, but this much doesn't seem normal-- especially since its been going on for almost a month now, and I'm just plain exhausted.

My son did the same exact thing at that age. It. was. brutal. Sometimes it felt like it was never going to end. The only thing that ever seemed to help was co-sleeping. After his first teeth broke through, and he learned how to crawl, things got better. Now he usually sleeps in his crib without issue. Although right now it may feel like will go on forever , it will get better!
    Mommy to Bradley, 8/2011, the love of my life

My 7 month old is also having sleep problems. She rolls to her stomach then screams waving her arms. We don't cosleep with her because it seems harder for her to sleep that way. Several nights this past week she was up every 45 minutes, after a sleep cycle. I am just going with it for now. I think it is a milestone thing and when she passes it I hope she will be better.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again