Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS at DCP

Default BLS at DCP

DS will be 6 months next week and although I don't think he is ready to start eating solids he is staring at our food and swatting at it to the point I have to keep my plate and drink over by DH to keep from getting it all over. But I really just think he is intrigued by the colors and wants to play with it rather than eat it. So I really just want to give him the opportunity to play with it. I'm not planning on bringing anything just yet to the DCP but I would like to keep up BLS at daycare. Any suggestions to make this seem less daunting to them? They will want to spoon feed and keep up with how much he eats and probably do it at the same time each day. All of which I don't care about. Should I just let it go at DCP?

I just like to ease them into my OCD non-scheduled ways
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

Default Re: BLS at DCP

I tried to do BLS at home, however I sent purees to DCP. For me, I was worried that my daughter would choke and they may not pay as much attention to her as I would at home with all of my focus. The reality is that they are managing other kids. I also never put bows/barrettes/etc on my daughter at DCP. I was always afraid she would choke. This doesn't really answer your exact question, but this was what I did in this instance.

At home we did BLS and nursed on demand. She also got her bottles of EBM on a schedule at DCP.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

My DCP did BLS (pretty much on their own accord, I just went over his eating habits with them), but I didn't start solids at daycare unil 8-9 months. Also, he was the youngest child there at the time and well loved by his favorite teacher, so I trusted them to watch him well enough.

I think that nice ripe pear is difficult to choke on because it falls apart pretty easily when you eat it. Same thing with lots of veggies (broccoli is a good one) if you steam them long enough. I think you can hold off on solids entirely at daycare while you experiment a bit at home and figure out certain foods that you woud be comfortable sending.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

You could send cheerios to the DCP- those are always BLS-friendly because they just melt away in baby's mouth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I did like Christine...BLS at home and purees, yogurt, applesauce, etc at daycare.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

We did BLS at home and at day care.

We experimented with trying new foods at home.

Then ONLY sent to DCP foods that baby had "mastered" - did a good job feeding himself.

DCP thought I was a little bit crazy. I didn't go into the whole theory behind BLS just said that "baby self feeds". They were skeptical at first and then were blown away (in a good way) when they saw how good baby actually was at feeding himself.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks for all the feedback. I was going to let him play with some avacodo this weekend for his 6 mo birthday. He has been able to sit up almost overnight, heavily eying our food and us when we eat, and DCP said he has been staring down the other kids too. BUT it was such a hectic weekend with me on call we just didn't have time.

I'm dying to see how he reacts to it all. It is really weird changing gears from EBF. I'm excited though
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!