Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What does it mean when legs kick around during feeding?

Default What does it mean when legs kick around during feeding?

My 3 month old has just started kicking her legs out when I feed her, she complains but stays on the boob - I've tried burping her but not sure if that's it - can it mean anything else?
    If I put her on to nurse and she's not hungry her legs do the same thing and she cries, but if she is hungry she nurses and then at the end she does the same thing - any ideas!
    Thanks xo

Default Re: What does it mean when legs kick around during feeding?

With a 3 month old, it can simply mean that baby has discovered her own legs and is working on making them do what she wants them to do. Or maybe it's her way of protesting a fast flow of milk, or a flow that has slowed down... Either way, it's nothing to worry about. As your nursling gets older, expect all sorts of gymnastics at the breast!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    As your nursling gets older, expect all sorts of gymnastics at the breast!
    I have heard that this happens, thank you - it is pretty cute when she pulls off to smile at you - distraction is a big part of our nursing now but that distraction I can handle plenty of!!!
    x

Adding on to mommal's thought, my kids fussed a lot at the breast when they were teething.. Maybe your LO is teething too causing discomfort when she nurses.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

oh yes good thought actually, she drools a lot has quite rosy cheeks atm, and has a wee rash on her cheeks as well, so could be that also!!

Switching up positions can help with teething, or giving a cold washcloth or teething ring before nursing. But the gymnastics can be normal despite any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tanpixie View Post
    I have heard that this happens, thank you - it is pretty cute when she pulls off to smile at you - distraction is a big part of our nursing now but that distraction I can handle plenty of!!!
    x
    Aw - I remember the pulling off and looking up at me with that big smile. Enjoy these times! Now he tries to pick my nose and somehow hang from my neck by his legs while he nurses. I still love it, but things do change.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).