Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ongoing tummy ache

Unhappy Ongoing tummy ache

My LO will be three weeks old on Friday. She has always been a bit gassy and stomach achey, but the last few evenings she has shown signs of a tummy ache and cried off and on for a couple of hours straight. She always spits up some when she eats, but last night she spit up a lot. She did sleep through the night pretty well, feeding at 1,4 and 7 a.m., but she again seems to be uncomfortable this morning. She is still having bowel movements - but seems to be straining to get them out. No fever to speak of. I'm a new mom and just not sure if I should be worried about this persistent tummy ache. I hate to see her uncomfortable and crying about it. She is still sleeping plenty, which is a blessing, but I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas on how to help her or when I should think about getting it checked out. She was at the pediatrician the end of last week and was gaining weight well.
    Thanks for your thoughts/advise.

Default Re: Ongoing tummy ache

Is she burping after feedings? Gas can cause a lot of the problems that you listed above. You can try to burp her inbetween breasts and see if that helps (more frequent burps throughout the nursing session). Congrats on your new DD!!!!

Thanks for you input. She always feeds well for about 4 minutes then pulls off, so I burp her. After that she pulls off every few minutes and I burp her frequently, then again at the end. She doesn't always burp, but I always try. She only usually feeds on one breast, for a total of 10-15 minutes per feeding and then doesn't want anymore. What are your thoughts on Gripe Water for these tummy upsets?

what is gripe water?

You can buy it at any drug store, supermarket or big box store. There are a number of brands available and I don't know if one is better than the other. It is supposed to be good for baby's hiccups and minor stomach upsets. I remember it from my babysitting days (many years ago) so I just automatically bought it with all of the other essentials. I've noticed that nobody mentions it on this forum, which is surprising to me and why I'm wondering what other people's experience has been with it. I've been putting a little bit on my LO's soother if she has the hiccups. She generally just spits the soother out, but it does seem to help the hiccups (or maybe it is just my imagination.) I've also heard of its use for colic...but not sure if it works for that.

I use Gripe water! I do the same thing...put it on his soother for hiccups. The Ped. says it's perfectly fine to use...but honestly, it's really only effective for the hiccups. It doesn't seem to help tummy aches at all. Now...both my DD's had "true colic". In other words, dr. diagnosed. Gripe water, like pretty much everything else, is totally useless in dealing with colic. Colic sets in around 3 weeks and is characterised as inconsolable crying for 2-3 hours, 3 or more days a week. The crying is usually at the same time every day. My dd's both started at 3 weeks...my first would cry for 4 hours EVERY evening from 3-8 weeks of age! My second would cry for 2-3 hours maybe 4 out of 7 nights. And that lasted for 3 months. There was nothing to be done other then walk the floor with them. Now my DS cries most evenings...but it is on and off...and putting him to the breast usually soothes him so I know it's not colic.You should know that MOST babies have a fussy time each day, and it always seems to be due to tummy aches. I think it's just that their digestive systems are still immature and the acts of pooping and farting are completely new to them. While they peed in-utero, they sure didn't have to worry about passing gas and bowel movements! Whether it's colic or just fussy periods, rest assured it is totally normal (including the straining) and it will ease up and eventually pass as she grows bigger. Just be there for her, cuddle, walk the floor with her, rock her. Even when there's nothing you can do to help her, she still knows you are there and she knows you are trying and one day soon she will reward you with her first smile!

I didn't realize that EVERY baby has a fussy time each day. But definitely reassuring to know. I agree, the gripe water seems pretty useless apart from as a hiccup remedy. Thanks for sharing your experiences. It is nice to know that I'm not alone. I'm hoping that it isn't colic. Time will tell I guess.