Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping..Working and Growth Spurts

Default Pumping..Working and Growth Spurts

I am heading back to work this week (Full Time 9-5) and my only concern is how to keep my supply up during Growth Spurts. We've already went thru the first spurt at a little younger than a Month...it was quite worry-some because I practically had to glue her to my chest. Now that I am working, how can I "mimic" the spurt while at work ? I read that between Months 1-6...the milk supply stays quite leveled...but my LO loves Milk, so I have this nagging feeling that she is going to want more that I am producing sooner or later . Ultimately, I just want to make sure I am keeping up with her and making sure me and Dad dont have to supplement with Formula. Currently I can produce around 3.5oz from the right and 2oz from the left...she seems good and content with that. Any info will help!

Thanks!

Default Re: Pumping..Working and Growth Spurts

I've heard a lot of moms bring their LOs to bed and do plenty of sleepy night nursing to replace missed extra day time feedings.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Your production is excellent; if you are pumping ~5.5 ounces combined in addition to nursing then you are in oversupply realm. Many mamas struggle produce that much while pumping at work.

It is nice to have a few extra bottles of frozen milk for growth spurts, but you may not need them. My son has always been an absolutely voracious nurser, but he never took more milk while I was at work even during growth spurts; he just nursed a lot more when I got home. Some days I would get home, pop him in the sling, and nurse him almost nonstop until bedtime. As PP mentioned, cosleeping helps your baby get in more nursing and helps you get more sleep when you go back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avabug18 View Post
    ...but my LO loves Milk, so I have this nagging feeling that she is going to want more that I am producing sooner or later .
    There is no reason to think this. If your baby is taking more than 1-1.5 ounces while you are away at any age, then she is being overfed. Period. Breastfed babies don't start needing more milk or bigger bottles the way their formula fed counterparts do because breastmilk changes in composition to suit your babies needs as she grows. My son would guzzle his milk, you could hear him gulping away when he nursed, but he still only took 3 ounce bottles or cups until he was well over a year old.

Ultimately, I just want to make sure I am keeping up with her and making sure me and Dad dont have to supplement with Formula.
    To do this you will want to make sure to pump every 2-3 hours at work, use horns that fit properly, and do breast compressions to maximize output. You also need to avoid over feeding. Use a slow flow nipple and paced bottle feeding methods:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

Try not to worry too much about your return to work. It's difficult to leave your baby, but a lot of us do it and have never needed to use formula even once. If you do find yourself having difficulties at work, then remember that there are a lot of mamas here that are happy to help you troubleshoot and find solutions.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I think you'll find it isn't as difficult as you imagine. I find that during growth spurts he will generally nurse more at night (a little more frequently and actively before bed, and overnight the sessions are longer), and a little more in the morning, but during the day at DC they haven't noted him being hungry or not having enough milk.

Unless your schedule is such that you don't get much time with him at all, you should be able to handle spurts in your off-hours. Also if he nurses longer/harder/more frequently at night and in the morning before you go, you may find your supply bumps up a tick too and you pump a little more.