Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New mom, Starting solids, right and wrong?

Default New mom, Starting solids, right and wrong?

My daughter has been getting solids for a few weeks now, she is 6.5 months old and loves to eat. She has taken to the spoon very well. We feed her rice cereal and have slowly started feeding her veggies and some fruits. We feed her solids three times a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. We mix the veggies with her cereal so she gets both during the day.

The question I have is, how much should we feed her at a time? And when should she get a bottle? How am I to be sure that she is not dehydrated? And should her poop be runny or solid?

I am a first time mom and need all the help I can get.

Default Re: New mom, Starting solids, right and wrong?

Before a year, solids should just be for fun--new tastes and textures--with breastmilk (or formula) making up the main part of baby's diet. This is a good article on starting solids from kellymom: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...ds/solids-how/

At this age breastfeeding / bottles should be FIRST and then offer solids after.

Even very young babies will communicate VERY clearly if they want more food (leaning forward, opening mouth, grabbing for food and/or spoon) or if they're done (closed mouth, turning face away, pulling back).

I'd follow your child's lead and "listen" to what she's telling you and NOT go by the feeding charts that the baby food companies put out.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    at this age breastfeeding / bottles should be first and then offer solids after.

Even very young babies will communicate very clearly if they want more food (leaning forward, opening mouth, grabbing for food and/or spoon) or if they're done (closed mouth, turning face away, pulling back).

I'd follow your child's lead and "listen" to what she's telling you and not go by the feeding charts that the baby food companies put out.
    omfg! Hai!?!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    I'd follow your child's lead and "listen" to what she's telling you and NOT go by the feeding charts that the baby food companies put out.
    Those charts are put out by companies whose goal is to sell you as much product as possible.

Until 1 year, nurse or bottlefeed on demand, offer the breast or bottle first, and then do solids immediately, or at least soon, afterwards. Your goal is to have breastmilk be your baby's primary source of nutrition until the first birthday. as long as you do that, your baby won't get dehydrated.

Poop consistency (and color, and odor) will vary a lot based on how much solid food your baby is eating. Don't expect to see "formed" poops until the baby is eating a lot of solids. Once baby is eating a lot of solids, you should start looking for a more regular stooping pattern. If a baby who is eating lots of solids is often going several days between poops, seems uncomfortable when pooping, or produces stool that is hard, dry, or pellet-like, talk to your doc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"