Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP PLEASE!!!How do I get my milk started again?

Unhappy HELP PLEASE!!!How do I get my milk started again?

My baby is a week old today....I breast fed the first2 days and on the second night the nurse supplemented before asking me!Now my she REFUSES the breast I got a pump today just a small manual one to hopefully get my milk supply flowing again. Is it too late can I get it started again?My first "puming" session I got about an ounce&a half but the three times since haven't even been enough to cover the bottom of a bottle.HELP PLEASE!!! I don't want to give up this is my last baby and the only one I was able to Breast feed at all.I really really want to know this experience any advice?Or am I just S.O.L.???

Default Re: HELP PLEASE!!!How do I get my milk started again?

I am by no means an expert in this area, and I'm sure some other mamas will chime in soon, but here is an article you might find helpful in the meantime:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    also check out the sections in these forums on relactation and making more milk
    if you can get baby to latch on, that would be best for building your supply, otherwise you will need to pump a minimum of 120 minutes over 8-12 times a day, using a good pump. A manual probably won't get you far, those are jmade for moms who only need to pump once in a while, a hospital grade pump would be best.
    Sorry the nurse sabotaged your breastfeeding relationship so early on, but if you start working on boosting your supply and getting baby latching back on, you will probably be able to breastfeed your baby.
    Good luck, and I'm sure a more experienced mama will be by soon.

You can do it. I'm in the same position my first two girls wouldn't latch at the hospital but my DD3 did latch and after some problems and struggles we are at 5 months of EBF'ing. First off, to my experience, I couldn't get much milk from pumping for over a month, I've heard that this is very normal. Supplementing a few times won't kill your breastfeeding relationship, but it doesn't help, so if you are still supplementing you need to stop if you are able, or start cutting back. The best thing for your supply is to nurse. I supplemented a few times in the first week because of diaper output and pain.

You can try different ways to get her to latch. Sometimes I found that if my nipple was not stimulated before she nursed she would latch better, but I've also heard that some babies latch better when the nipples are. Play around with all the different ways, put some breastmilk or formula on the tip to maybe get her interest. Nipple shields aren't really recommended, so I wouldn't jump to it, but it helped me with easing my pain and I've heard that some women use it to transition their babies from bottle to breast, (but it could cause plugged ducts, and the baby could then become attached to the shield) One thing that could be very helpful is to always offer the breast before anything else. I also found that when I put her in our moby wrap I would feel fuller (maybe it was in my head, but I felt that way)

You are NOT S.O.L.!
    I'm sure more momma's will respond with more information, and I hope you find something that will work for you and your daughter
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

greetings micahrenea!
    Congratulations on the birth of your baby. And welcome to La leche League's forums.
    The good news is that the first two weeks of an infant's life are devoted to learning how to nurse.
    So you are still early enough in the learning curve that obstacles can be overcome.
    You say that your baby refuses the breast. Has more than 24 hours past since she last latched on and nursed?
    If she has not latched and nursed for over a day it is important to be certain she is well fed and hydrated.
    so.... makes sure she is fed every two hours with 1-2 ounces of expressed milk or formula.
    then AFTER she has been fed 1-2 ounces,(but not more) let her lie naked on your naked chest.
    Let her lick and taste your skin while she is not distracted by hunger. let her hang out as stress free as possible and she if she will latch on her own.
    this process may well take an hour or so.. but if she is relaxed and you are not freaking out b/c you know she has been fed... you might be better prepared to tolerate her fussiness as she learns to nurse.
    If she doesn't latch and suckle to stimulate your milk, please hand express or use a pump to express, feed her the 1-2 ounces and then
    back to the breast again, naked skin to naked skin...
    This process may take a day or three days or more
    And yes, you will be completely devoted to maintaining /building your milk supply all while re-introducing the breast but the key is to encourage your LO to latch and suckle.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*micahrenea View Post
    My baby is a week old today....I breast fed the first2 days and on the second night the nurse supplemented before asking me!Now my she REFUSES the breast I got a pump today just a small manual one to hopefully get my milk supply flowing again. Is it too late can I get it started again?My first "puming" session I got about an ounce&a half but the three times since haven't even been enough to cover the bottom of a bottle.HELP PLEASE!!! I don't want to give up this is my last baby and the only one I was able to Breast feed at all.I really really want to know this experience any advice?Or am I just S.O.L.???
    Yes this is very early days. You can do it! I agree with pps, keep trying to get baby to latch and nurse at the breast, once baby is latching and nursing again (a minimum of 12 times a 24 hour day) you can cut back/eliminate supplements and probably will not need to pump.

IF you absolutely cannot get baby to latch & nurse, very, very soon-in a day or so, you will need a better pump. A hospital grade rental. What you are using is not going to cut it for keeping up supply while you work on things, if babywill not nurse. It;s just not the right tool for what you are needing. You may need hands on help at that point as well (an EXPERIENCED, with latch issues, IBCLC or local LLL Leader)
    But try the latching ideas suggested by everyone above and the kellymom ideas now. Watch this video it may help and read this short article: http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html & http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf