Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Birth control and Lactation ?!?

Default Birth control and Lactation ?!?

I have been breastfeeding my 3 month old DD. I got my periods about 12 days back. Its kind of silly, but we forgot to use birth control last night and I am not on pills.
    I was wondering if it ok to take morning after pills during breastfeeding or will it affect my milk supply ??

Is there any other way of preventing pregnancy ?? We are not ready for another one yet

TIA for any comments or suggestions

Default Re: Birth control and Lactation ?!?

I think most hormonal birth control can affect your milk supply since it's hormonal, right? Are you having fertile cervical fluid? Are you charting?

If you're pregnant, you're pregnant and you can't prevent it, what you're basically asking about is an abortion pill. If you want to prevent pregnancy then use a barrier method when you have sex, or learn how to chart and abstain or use back-up/barrier when you're fertile.

I'm not debating the right or wrong of abortion, but if you're pregnant (which is probably unlikely) then you really can't take a pill to prevent pregnancy. I didn't ovulate for several cycles after getting my period back. I would suggest finding a birth control method that you're going to remember every time you have sex, no idea what that would be for your particular situation, but there are lots of threads around here on birth control methods and what works for what women and why.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

The kellymom site mentions Plan B (the morning after pill) here: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../birthcontrol/ and says that it is compatible with breastfeeding (it is progesterone only) although your supply may take a temporary dip.
    Plan B is not an "abortion pill." it is a high does of birth control that can keep an egg from implanting. if you are already pregnant it will not terminate the pregnancy.
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    I think most hormonal birth control can affect your milk supply since it's hormonal, right? Are you having fertile cervical fluid? Are you charting?

If you're pregnant, you're pregnant and you can't prevent it, what you're basically asking about is an abortion pill. If you want to prevent pregnancy then use a barrier method when you have sex, or learn how to chart and abstain or use back-up/barrier when you're fertile.

I'm not debating the right or wrong of abortion, but if you're pregnant (which is probably unlikely) then you really can't take a pill to prevent pregnancy. I didn't ovulate for several cycles after getting my period back. I would suggest finding a birth control method that you're going to remember every time you have sex, no idea what that would be for your particular situation, but there are lots of threads around here on birth control methods and what works for what women and why.
    Plan B is not an abortion pill. Plan B prevents ovulation, or fertilization, but not implantation. If a pregnancy has implanted, plan B will not cause the implanted blastocyte to "disimplant" and abort. So you are totally right, if she is already pregnant, Plan B will do nothing at this point. Its just that if you are somewhere between sperm and egg meeting, you have a shot at avoiding ovulation/fertilization. There is currently no data that shows that implantation of a fertilized egg is changed with Plan B, and an in vitro model shows no difference in outcome with eggs that have already been fertilized. I always imagine that the sperm and egg meet within an hour or so of the dirty deed, but really there's a longer period of possible meet up, so that's what Plan B is exploiting.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

with the last 2 posters. I have personally taken Plan B (which is avaiable without prescription just ask for it at pharmacy ) which nursing my son when he was under 1 year. I was worried about a dip in supply so I took More Milk Plus just in case for a week. It's gross tasting but my production was not effected. Good luck mama.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

well I am not charting and this encounter was kind of unexpected. We are usually very careful with the dates. I am not on pills because I hate it, and dont feel comfortable using them, but we do use condoms and generally avoid the fertile part of the cycle.

Did take the PlanB, hoping for best that the supply doesnt drop and i dont get pregnant. We cannot afford another one just yet.

Drink a ton of water, eat oatmeal and even if you do see a dip, it should be temporary.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

thnx for the comments!!

its been two days since I took the pill and haven't seen any drop in the supply
    hope this continues