Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: leaving baby for a week? will nursing resume?

Default leaving baby for a week? will nursing resume?

I may have to take a week-long trip without my baby, when he will be 8 months old. What are the chances he won't want to nurse again when I get back? And what is the stress effect on the baby to have his mother leave for a week at that age? I don't want to take this trip, but I don't know how easily I can get out of it or how hard I should fight against it. Thanks in advance for your help!

Default Re: leaving baby for a week? will nursing resume?

Unfortunately, your questions are impossible to answer. A week hiatus would be highly stressful and mark the end of breastfeeding for some babies, but would be no problem for others. And there's no way to tell how your individual baby would react to a separation.

What is the trip for, and how far are you going? Would it be possible to take the baby with you?

I think your answer shows me what my gut was telling me: I think it would be the end of breastfeeding for my baby. My trip is a coast-to-coast, two-legged trip, from Oregon to NYC to Boston and back again. Half is for business, half is for business/family, I'll perform music in a wedding. Bringing him along sounds like a lot of travel stress for this baby, and I'm not sure the stress of travel would be less than the stress of mom being gone, even. Sounds like a no-win. I've been traveling for the past couple weeks with him right now, over the holidays, and I think he just hates not being home. Nursing is not as peaceful as usual, and he cries to the point of screaming daily when it's time for a nap, which never happens at home. Sometimes he's so upset he won't even nurse for comfort. Seems like traveling with or without baby is not a great situation at this point in baby's life! I think I should find a way to revise my own travel.

Go with your gut. If it says "don't go", then listen. You will never be sorry that you protected your nursing relationship. You'd only be sorry if you didn't, and nursing ended before you were ready.