Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused...too much or not enough?

Default Confused...too much or not enough?

My 7 week old is starting to get very fussy during feedings. He'll latch on and suck well and my milk will let-down and he will stuck well through the let down. Then about 2 mins later he'll cry and arch his back and not want to latch again. I've learned I need to walk around with him to calm him down so he'll latch again. I thought this was a fast let-down problem but the only time he nurses well is at night after sleeping for 6 hours and my breasts are engorged and lots of milk is coming out. So if it would be active let-down wouldn't he be fussy at night? Also it seems he gets mad when the milk slows down. It is hard for him to finish one breast because he wants to go to the other one with lots of milk. Is he just lazy or do I have enough milk? One breast is larger than the other so he favors the large one and I have been trying to make them even but he doesn't stay long on the small breast. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Confused...too much or not enough?

This sounds like pretty normal newborn nursing behavior. It wouldn't say that your baby is "lazy", but he may need to learn to work a bit for his milk. If walking around while latching helps, then do that (I needed to do the same for awhile when my son was little). A sling can help you walk and nurse more effortlessly. I also bounced my baby on my knee or rocked him back and forth while latching him.

Mine also preferred my larger (and fuller) breast, so I would start him on the smaller breast 2x to every 1x that I started him on the larger breast. That evened things out some while also giving my baby some practice on the smaller breast. I had to do a lot of walking, bouncing, and rocking while nursing on the smaller breast until my baby got used to it.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Default Re: Confused...too much or not enough?

Also - if your baby is nursing well through your letdown (not choking, coughing, clicking, sputtering, etc.), then I wouldn't chalk this up to overactive letdown. However you can try nursing in a reclined position, which can help with OALD as well as some other issues, as it won't negatively impact your milk supply.

Here is some good info on identifying why your baby might be fussing at the breat and some ways to deal with it:

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/chil...while-nursing/
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).