Re: dark green diarrhea :(
Okay, first off all green poop is in the normal spectrum of poop colors for a young baby. And breastfed baby poop is always loose and watery- like thin yogurt or watery cottage cheese. Don't expect formed stools until your baby is eating lots of solids.
That being said, what you describe could be either and allergy or an oversupply (a.k.a. foremilk/hindmilk "imbalance"). I hate it when a doc breezily suggests a dietary elimination, and then goes out for a mocacchino without thinking twice about the poor mom who has likely been consigned to a year or more of probably unnecessary food limitations!
Since green poop in an otherwise happy, healthy, growing baby is not a health concern, I suggest that you stop worrying about gluten, beer, caffeine or little green men from Mars. I would probably keep on with the diary elimination, because you felt like you saw a positive result after stopping the dairy, and because dairy is probably the most common offender when it comes to allergy/intolerance. I don't know if I'd eliminate soy. I would definitely consider the possibility that this is related to oversupply, since that's probably the most common cause of green, watery stools. So, do you ever see any of the following:
- Frequent engorgement or feelings of fullness
- Frequent leaking
- Able to pump multiple oz of milk with ease (if pumping)
- Baby may choke, cough, gag, splutter, or make a clicking or clucking sound while nursing
- If baby pulls off the breast while nursing, you may observe milk streaming or squirting from the breast
- Baby make slip up or clamp down on the nipple
- Baby may frequently pull off the breast and fuss
Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"