Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vegan Mom and Breastfeeding 7 mos old

Default Vegan Mom and Breastfeeding 7 mos old

Anyone eat chia seeds, hemp protein or Raw Protein Powder by Garden of Life while breastfeeding?

Just can't seem to get a straight answer on if these are ok while nursing...

Thanks!

Default Re: Vegan Mom and Breastfeeding 7 mos old

I don't think any of those would be bad. I just looked up the ingredients of the Raw Protein Powder and it looks okay to me. You could ask a doctor, but I don't know how much luck you would have. I can't see any reason at all why chia seeds would be bad.

Chia seeds are related to the sage plant, but I haven't seen any supply reduction from eating them. I don't see why any of those things would be bad. I also don't think it's bad to eat a little sage in some food. I think you'd have to eat a whole lot for it to make a difference. I don't see why any of those things would be bad. You know, women all over the world eat all kinds of things while pregnant and nursing. I think as long as you have a wholesome, vegan diet that covers all of your nutritional bases - you are good. I also think that is true if you eat meat and dairy products. Even still, there are studies that show that moms who have substandard diets still make milk that's just fine.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Help me be Vegan. Seriously.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

I am hopping on this forum a bit prematurely. I am a vegan expecting my first child and will be breastfeeding.

My only concerns with protein powders are the fillers, but I haven't noticed too many fillers in any of my proteins (vegetable protein powders, I forget what brands though). Well okay, my other concern is that any soy used would be GMO but if it's organic that's not an issue. I haven't seen/read of any issues with hemp, but I've only drank hemp milk, not used it as a powder.
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

For what its worth, I've tried all of the above while breastfeeding & had no problems.