Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinny breastfed baby, probs weaning and speedy digestion

Default Skinny breastfed baby, probs weaning and speedy digestion

Hello mums,
    My baby girl is 6 months and a half and I started weaning her a month ago at the advice of a paediatrician.
    She was born on the 50th percentile but she dropped two and stayed roughly on the 9th for the past few months - she was exclusively breasfed - she was soooo slow in putting on any weight - we had weeks with 25 grams, 40 grams, 70 grams....Now she weights 6.100 kg.
    The doctor that saw her told us she is healthy but we shuld start weaning. So we did, the first two weeks she put on a bit of weight although she ate very little, but in the oast two weeks she didn't put on ANYTHING ...she still eats veeeery little, has normal poos but noticed that she is digesting food extremely fast - in 5 hours the food she ate is out! ( sometimes even less than 5 hours ). Still breastfed on demand, day and night..
    Any advice, please ?

Default Re: Skinny breastfed baby, probs weaning and speedy digesti

I am confused. If she is still exclusively breast fed that how did you "begin weaning?"

Way too lazy for formula

she was ebf, i still breastfeed + weaning...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoanna View Post
    she was ebf, i still breastfeed + weaning...
    Just to clarify, you are still BF on demand for as long as and as frequently as baby wants but you have also started adding solids?

If so, are you always giving the solids after BF? What foods have you been offering? And have you noticed a subsequent decrease in how much she wants to nurse? BM is much more calorie/nutrient dense than most foods, so if weight gain is the goal you want to make sure that the solids are offering extra calories rather than replacing her guaranteed BM calories.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

And pooping 5hr (or less) after eating sounds totally normal.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

So you are trying to wean her to solids? Or you have begun to supplement with formula?

Way too lazy for formula

yes - i offer her milk whenever she wants; she has 2 solid meals a day - i give as much as she would take ( but she takes very little) - usually she doesn't need any milk after but sometimes she wants a milk top up;
    example of meals:
    mashed pear with baby rice
    avocado and banana
    avocado, banana, apple,pear and peach
    butternut squash and sweet potato
    carrot and parsnip with chicken stock(home made) and baby rice
    some baby cereals (rice with apple) stating 4+ which i found she likes a bit (but they have sugar in them!)
    baby rice with some baby formula milk and fruit puree

yes - i offer her milk whenever she wants; she has 2 solid meals a day - i give as much as she would take ( but she takes very little) - usually she doesn't need any milk after but sometimes she wants a milk top up;
    example of meals:
    mashed pear with baby rice
    avocado and banana
    avocado, banana, apple,pear and peach
    butternut squash and sweet potato
    carrot and parsnip with chicken stock(home made) and baby rice
    some baby cereals (rice with apple) stating 4+ which i found she likes a bit (but they have sugar in them!)
    baby rice with some baby formula milk and fruit puree

still breastfeeding and planning to do so as log as possible - no formula supplement except the one added to some solid meals; i breastfed my son a year and a half, but he was a good eater...

??? I think there is a confusion of terminology here, or something...

When a baby starts any solids, that is literally the start of weaning. So that term is literally correct if you are starting soldis. But starting solids is not usually referred to as weaning on this website or in the US, anyway, where weaning more often refers to cessation of nursing.

The typical recommendation when breastfeeding is that solids are introduced very slowly, for experimenting more than anything else, with care taken that solids NOT replace nursing at all, in fact, that nursing continue to be supported and encouraged by nursing prior to offering any solids, offering to nurse frequently, not offering liquids- no water or juice-except perhaps very small amounts of water with a solids meal if desired, etc. The idea is to keep baby filling up on breastmilk and not filling up with solids or juice or water, which are typically much lower in calories and healthy fats than breastmilk (or formula.)

Is THAT what your doctor recommended? Or does he or she want you to cut down on nursing and replace nursing with solids?

Do you have any idea why weight gain may have been slow? Do you have low supply, is baby not a great nurser, does baby sleep long stretches, use a pacifier a lot, etc? Was weight gain always slow, or is this more recent? is your baby very active, crawling yet? You feed on demand-how often is that, typically, how many times a 24 hour day, is baby allowed to nurse as long as she wants and switch sides as she pleases? and does baby seem satisfied after nursing?

Is allergy a possibility at all? because the other typical recommendation is for solids to be introduced individually, say, bananas OR avocado Or Chicken at a meal, rather than as combo meals, so any reactions to a particular food can be noted,....

I think you will find lots of support here momma but I am still confused as to what you are needing?

Kellymom.com had a good article on starting solids and also a calorie comparison of typical infant foods. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...ds/solids-how/ and http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...yfoodcalories/

And the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding has an excellent chapter on starting solids.