Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: :/ reflux

Default Re: :/ reflux

Either way, that is perfectly normal and no reason for concern. Plus he is following his growth curve. In what universe is that not okay? I'm sorry, but your pediatrician sounds incredibly ignorant in general (not just BF ignorant, which is sadly common) if she is not satisfied with your baby's perfectly normal growth.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I have another q, too.

She was talking about how when his belly is fully it's supposed to be well rounded.

I have a long, lean little guy; 10 lb 1 oz, 23 inches.

I was asking her about..why he isn't getting fat and if he's going to be more on the lean side since he's breastfed. That's when she started fussing about his weight and how it should be in the 80 something percentile instead of where it is (46--which I perceived to be okay since it's pretty much smack dab in the middle).

I also asked the nurse about how he's growing lengthwise more than widthwise and she reassured me that some babies are just like that.

So..is he supposed to be getting really fat? I mean.. my friend who brestfed her son had a 14 lb 2 month old. (BIG)

I guess it just always worries/irritates me when a medical professional says "he should be heavier/gain more weight/etc;". You know?
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Look for a new pedi... JMO

Seeing how distended a baby's belly is after eating to know if they are getting enough is a new one on me.

Every baby is different on the weight issue. You son sounds perfectly healthy to me. He is maintaining his weight in regards to the percentiles and that is a good thing. Huge shifts in percentiles in either direction can be a cause for concern not always though.

I'm no expert or physician though. I still would look for a new one.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*paytek View Post
    I was asking her about..why he isn't getting fat and if he's going to be more on the lean side since he's breastfed. That's when she started fussing about his weight and how it should be in the 80 something percentile instead of where it is (46--which I perceived to be okay since it's pretty much smack dab in the middle).

I also asked the nurse about how he's growing lengthwise more than widthwise and she reassured me that some babies are just like that.

So..is he supposed to be getting really fat? I mean.. my friend who brestfed her son had a 14 lb 2 month old. (BIG)

I guess it just always worries/irritates me when a medical professional says "he should be heavier/gain more weight/etc;". You know?
    Would she have been concerned about weight if you had not been? It sounds like your son has gained about a pound/month and that is perfectly normal. Usually babies will edge closer and closer to the middle markers, but it really depends on the baby and SO many other factors indicate good nutrition and health (ie. developmental milestones, general growth in both length and head circumference, steady weight gain, overall health, etc).

Try not to compare your baby and your friends' babies. There are so many factors that it will drive you nuts unless you can start to focus on the indications your son is giving you and block out the comparisons.

I'm pretty sure she would have brought up his weight either way. But only because in his digital records another pedi had said " should be 9 lb by specific date ", the date came and went and a different pedi was like, " well, he's gaining 50 g a day, the average is 30. He's fine weight wise"

Anyway, all of the pedis he's been seeing haven't been his primary care manager. And that's just the army way. It sucks and there is no physical communication, but I don't have a bill for his care.

Disregarding anything the pedis say about his weight unless they show him falling off his curve, and disregarding any breastfeeding advice that doesn't come from here or my ibclc.

( Though still probably worrying about it secretly :/ )
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Your doctor is wrong. I would ignore any feeding advice from this doctor.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*paytek View Post
    I'm pretty sure she would have brought up his weight either way. But only because in his digital records another pedi had said " should be 9 lb by specific date ", the date came and went and a different pedi was like, " well, he's gaining 50 g a day, the average is 30. He's fine weight wise"

Anyway, all of the pedis he's been seeing haven't been his primary care manager. And that's just the army way. It sucks and there is no physical communication, but I don't have a bill for his care.

Disregarding anything the pedis say about his weight unless they show him falling off his curve, and disregarding any breastfeeding advice that doesn't come from here or my ibclc.

( Though still probably worrying about it secretly :/ )
    haha we are in the same boat! We've yet to see the same doc more than once. And when we asked to see a Pedi since we wanted a second opinion from DS's Family Practitioner we of course got told we can't see anyone that's not our PCM...even though we've only seen him once out of 4 visits!

When this doc tried commenting on how skinny DS is, I tried asking about how he was already rolling over and airplane-ing, if it made any difference that he was at the top percentile for length, that he was cooing and ahhing and smiling lots and would you look at his father and try to tell me maybe genes have something to do with his lean-ness...nope. It's like the only important statistic is weight.

Speaking of statistics...there are three kinds of lies. Lies, damned lies and statistics I wish they would take an integrative health perspective instead of going by "chubby baby=healthy baby"
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]