Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: :/ reflux

Default :/ reflux

I think my LO has reflux. He's started gasping and gagging among many other things that would indicate it.

Going to the pediatrician (different pediatrician) tomorrow bright n early.

Feel bad, because he only just started gasping/gagging, but the other signs that were there should've indicated it. Poor little man.
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Default Re: :/ reflux

Mine benefitted greatly from reflux meds from 10 weeks to about 4 months, then she was able to go off them.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Same experience as pizanite.

Just a side note, there could be other reasons for the signs/symptoms. Like OALD, have you looked into any of those. They may be worth a shot specially if your not keen on medications.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

I do have OALD.
    But, the gasping/gagging seems to occur most after he wakes up--spits up a little, and right after gets his little hiccups. :/

Not right after or during feedings though unless it's with a bottle with any flow nipple.
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Is he upset by this? I've always heard if the spitting up doesn't really bother them, it's ok and may not need to be treated. My DD was screaming in pain after feeding and the meds made her much more comfortable.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Well, the pediatrician said that it was probably nothing to worry about.

Also.. suggested only nursing for 15 minutes on one breast, switching him to the other for 15 minutes and pull him off.. if he doesn't cry he's not hungry.

Because, as she said, "letting him nurse for 45 minutes is TOO long!"

Is there any stock to that?
    Her reason was that he isn't gaining massive amounts of weight [2 lb in a week], and that he would be getting more milk in the first 10-15 minutes of each breast, it would train him to shorter/more productive feeds.

I'd like to get a LLL leaders opinion on it since i'd be more inclined to believe someone whose business is breastfeeding than a doctor.

Also..she said I needed to lay him down by himself for naps, so he can become independent.
    ^^^was a total wtf thing for me^^^

oh, she showed me his weight curve; 46th percentile last weigh in, 46th percentile this weigh in. So, no huge dramatic change, but she seems to think He needs to weigh more?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*paytek View Post
    Also.. suggested only nursing for 15 minutes on one breast, switching him to the other for 15 minutes and pull him off.. if he doesn't cry he's not hungry.
    Actually, nursing on just one breast at time is much better for OS/OALD (from what you said you are pumping in another thread, you are dealing with an oversupply too). My baby didn't spit up quite so much when I started nursing him on just one breast for a feeding. Of course you can offer the other breast if your baby still seems hungry, but I would have him nurse as long s he pleases on just one breast. Nursing in a reclined position helped me the most with my OALD. Nursing very frequently is also very helpful.

Because, as she said, "letting him nurse for 45 minutes is TOO long!"
    Is there any stock to that?
    That is simply ridiculous. It is even more ridiculous considering your baby is getting over some difficulties transferring milk effectively. Let your baby nurse as long as he likes.

Her reason was that he isn't gaining massive amounts of weight [2 lb in a week], and that he would be getting more milk in the first 10-15 minutes of each breast, it would train him to shorter/more productive feeds.
    No, it would just result in him taking in less milk. Babies get more efficient on their own. Trying to force that on them is dangerous. And if your baby really gained 2 pounds in a week, then weight gain is way more than enough.

I'd like to get a LLL leaders opinion on it since i'd be more inclined to believe someone whose business is breastfeeding than a doctor.
    I'm not a leader, but I'm sure one will weigh in.

Also..she said I needed to lay him down by himself for naps, so he can become independent.
    ^^^was a total wtf thing for me^^^
    I would ask what medical research she is basing that on. I think that is totally absurd. My son is extremely independent, and I have nursed and rocked him to sleep since birth.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*paytek View Post
    oh, she showed me his weight curve; 46th percentile last weigh in, 46th percentile this weigh in. So, no huge dramatic change, but she seems to think He needs to weigh more?
    I have absolutely no clue how that could be construed as a problem. Doctors usually want babies to stay on their curve. If it is possible, I might start shopping around for a more knowledgeable pediatrician.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Oh crap.
    Sorry. I wasn't thinking when I said 2 lb in a week. I meant 5 oz!!!! Which is a normal amount!!! Sorry!!