Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Really, that magical 12 weeks!?!

Thumbs up Really, that magical 12 weeks!?!

I've posted asking about how to wean off the shield and y'all have been very supportive and helpful. Up until now, DS has been taking just my bare breast maybe once a day but not actually feeding from it except one time.

Well yesterday morning he just would NOT latch onto the shield. Curious, I took it off and offered him a breast sandwich and lo and behold, he latched and ate!

I though maybe it was a fluke...but sure enough, he's been able to latch on without that thing more often than not! He's 12 weeks today.

I actually even NIP today while at Starbucks with DH and his squad unit (3 women)
    That is HUGE for me, as my NIP experiences were 1) a meltdown by myself in Target where I panicked and couldn't even feed him in the dressing room out of fear/nervous 2) during our CenteringPregnancy reunion and I was the only one still BF and not quite "public" 3) LLL meeting...again, not quite "public" 4) this past Sunday while shopping in Dillon's, he was in the sling and we used the shield but we finished our shopping trip and walked out the door <---I was shaking and sooooo nervous about this one.
    But let me say, it was so much easier not having to fumble with that shield!!!

Now we're working on correct positioning; I have to flare his lips out for him and sometimes my nipple comes out creased, does this mean he needs a bigger mouthful? His tongue is under my nipple when I've checked. There's no pain that I've noticed besides when he latches on initially.
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Default Re: Really, that magical 12 weeks!?!

That's fantastic!

As long as there is no pain, I don't think need to be overly concerned about latch. My nipple has always been a little creased after nursing, but it's not painful so I don't worry about it. You can try the nipple sandwich technique to try to get a deeper latch.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

This is wonderful!! We're always telling mamas to hang in there, that things will get easier. And they generally do get easier, but sticking it out is no picnic sometimes! You did it, and you're seeing the payoff! It will only get easier from here.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I did centeringpregancy, too!!!

<--army, ft hood
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Yah!!! I had to flare DS's lips for awhile too after stopping with the shield. And even now at 6 mo my nipples sometimes are lipsticky but it never hurts so stopped worrying about it.

Glad to hear your starting to find NIP less stressful. I like going to a park myself.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

Awesome about weaning off the shield and NIP!!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Thank you ladies!
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]