Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much should I be getting?

Default How much should I be getting?

I am exclusively bf my 6 wk old and started pumping for insurance once at night when he goes to bed. I will be returning full time to work in 2 months. How much milk should I be getting? I only pump (w/ double electric) for 10-15 minutes and only get 1-2 ounces per side- is ths normal? Doesn't seem like much and it worries me about my supply. Help? Thank you.
    First-time mom to David Alan, born 5-20-12. Enjoying maternity leave for his 1st 5 months and then returning to full-time work as a school social worker and nursing mom.

Default Re: How much should I be getting?

1-2 ounces per side is great output, particularly given that you are pumping in addition to nursing. You certainly have no reason to worry about your supply. When you work, you will be pumping in place of nursing and should get even more. You only need 1-1.5 ounces per hour you are away, and bottles should be 2-4 ounces (my son took 3 ounce bottles/cups until he was well over a year old). Given that, you should be more than covered for your 1st day back to work in no time. Keep in mind that frozen milk needs to be used 3-4 months after freezing if you are using a standard refridgerator freezer, so don't worry about stocking up too much too soon.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Default Re: How much should I be getting?

Thanks!