Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: can milk dry up if still feeding?

Default can milk dry up if still feeding?

i am tandem feeding a nealry 5 year old and 3 year old. they have one boob each. They feed to sleep and to wake ... my 3 year old feeds at night and ocasionally in the day. recently my boobs feel more tender ... sometimes they feel like they are feeding on empty. my 5 year old said tonight he had no milk at all.

Is it possible his mouth is changing shape and therefore he is less effective or could his boob be drying up despite his efforts?

thanks

sharon

Default Re: can milk dry up if still feeding?

bumping
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

If your LO is still nursing effectively, he will maintain some level of milk supply. But older toddlers, preschoolers, and children often become sloppy latchers and indifferent nursers, and that can lead to diminished supply. I'd say that explains what you're experiencing, though I'd also consider the possibility of pregnancy, since that would both decrease supply and explain breast tenderness.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

hello LLL Karen ... what does bumping mean?
    thanks
    sharon

Bumping means posting a short message like the word "bump" on an older thread, in order to pop up among the "New Posts". If a thread got missed or didn't get the attention it deserved, often the original poster or a moderator will "bump" it to give it a second chance.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm nursing a 3YO also. I don't want to stop just yet (a lot of it has to do with the fact that she doesn't like to eat and is sensitive to cow's milk, AND doesn't like almond milk, yogurt or cheese, even though I've been able to get her to consume a bit of each, so I'm always nervous about her calcium intake - yes, I'm aware there're non-dairy sources of calcium, but as I said, she doesn't eat much of anything except fruits) but my breasts seem to be getting tired and they're producing less and less milk . I feel so sad and worried, esp. when we just moved to a new country (again) and I don't know this place or anybody at all. Her latch is not correct either, I think, because the past few days I've notice teeth marks at the base of my nipple (must be her front teeth there) and I am especially hurt because my nipples are feeling very tender due to I think ovulation (pregnancy is 99% out of the question). I admire you for tandem nursing a 5YO and 3YO!

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...