Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breast feeding, exhaustion and anxiety.

Default Re: Breast feeding, exhaustion and anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tanpixie View Post
    - also NY is going through a heat wave so I havn't been getting outside at all
    Do you live in the city? We hop on a bus or train and go to museums when it's hot out. My son loves the natural history museum.

going to the Dr tomorrow so will enquire about meds, I want to be strong enough to cope without them but this might be to much now, it's been happening for so many years and I don't want my daughter to think it's normal to be like this ...
    Good! You are strong for seeking a solution! There is absolutely no shame in taking medications when you need them! Lots of people need medications for certain things at certain times, and strength comes from knowing that you need the help and are taking the steps to make a change. Good luck at the doctor. I really hope you are feeling better soon!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tanpixie View Post
    Im sure exhaustion is common whilst BF ...
    Also, understand that exhaustion is common with a newborn BF or not. I know people with colicky babies who were formula fed, and those poor suckers were far more exhausted than me even though my baby nursed every 2 hours for over a year.

Are you cosleeping? That can help.

But in reading your messages, I wonder if you have a little bit of depression and would suggest taking a quiz to measure that depression (it used to be at www.postpartuminternational.net) and talking to your midwife or OB about the results.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My understanding is depression in general can lead to tiredness--add that to normal newborn tiredness and you are being hit from all sides. With the heat, do make sure that you don't get dehydrated.

Aquariums (if you have one nearby) are great places to take babies too.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Having a newborn can lead to tiredness, too. Anxiety and depression are real problems and need to be addressed, too. Also if you're not eating enough, like already mentioned, that can make it harder to sleep. I can't sleep well if my blood sugar is low. If you're really exhausted and you think it's more than normal for having a baby, then yes I would talk to your doctor about it, especially if it's related to anxiety. I had panic attacks yrs ago and I really got some good help from a PhD psychologist.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I do believe I suffer from slight depression.... I just went to my dr turns out I have very low blood pressure which will definitely account for dizzy spells which in turn does perpetuate the anxiety. She told me to eat more salt and Im going to see a therapist.. so I feel better for knowing this and seeing someone will definitely help! Thanks so much again everyone.

I'm glad you are getting some answers. I think a therapist can really help you out even if meds are not necessary. It's hard being a new mom, and it helps to have someone IRL to talk to.

Try to find a nice air conditioned place to take a stroll with the baby in the mean time. Getting out of the house helps keep me in decent spirits. We're about to head out to the science museum ourselves. I think the heat should be breaking pretty soon.

I'm glad you're feeling better today! I know you can find a way to feel better consistently, so stay positive. Take care of yourself!

Thanks Phi, I think getting out is a great idea, I'm now worried I might faint though due to such low blood pressure - if it's not one thing it's another with me!
    Have fun at the museum!

Maybe just go for a quick walk around the block after a meal or snack. Take a Gatorade to keep hydrated, there are added salts that will help with blood pressure. Drink tomato juice and eat bananas, lots of potassium (I have low BP too ).

Whatever you do, indoors or out, try to have some fun today! You deserve it!

Okay, gotta run...

Thanks! ha ha ... you have low blood pressure too! oh wonderful Can I ask what yours is?
    Mine was 90/50 ---- yikes.