Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tips on getting my 8.5 month old to nurse in public?

Default Tips on getting my 8.5 month old to nurse in public?

My DD will only nurse lying down in our dark bedroom. She still nurses every 2-3 hours during the day which makes going out for any length of time difficult. I have had a little luck getting her to nurse in the sling while we are at the playground with our 3 year old, but just for a few sucks here and there. She used to be great at nursing in the car or a chair when we were out (not as great as at home, but at least enough to hold her over), but no more. Any tips on getting her to NIP again?

Default Re: Tips on getting my 8.5 month old to nurse in public?

IkWYM!
    i remember wanting to be a active mommy for my toddler while still being a laid back mommy for the baby!
    Someone had got to give in and I felt guilty always expecting the older child to compromise.
    But I had a rough time getting ds4 to NIP. and one time I ended up with mastitis b/c a delayed feeding turned into a plugged duct and rapidly became infected.
    i eventually found ways to get ds4 to nurse in various positions like sitting up facing me or nursing in the sling.
    I just kept trying everyday to outwit him. sometimes I would express the milk into his mouth and face and get a little bossy with him.
    I would say,"look dude, you've got to nurse mamma can't take it no more."
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

No real advice for you but I feel you pain. My DD (3 months) will not nurse while awake. It makes it difficult to get out and about because as she is getting older it's getting trickier to get her to sleep while where out and about. I'd keep trying the sling.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

IS there a LLL meeting you can attend, or nursing momma's playgroup you can join? Babies love to do what they see other babies doing, this may get the ball rolling for nip other times as well.