Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting baby food with my 5 month old

Default Starting baby food with my 5 month old

My LO is 5 months old now and has been EBF At our last WIC appointment they gave us some coupons for baby food, so we went ahead and got them. And a sippy cup. I have been giving her a couple baby spoon fulls and a little bit of water in her cup to play with. She likes the new flavors and brings the cup to her mouth, but only chews on it so far.

I've been offering her small bites off her baby spoon and waiting for her to open her mouth to take it. And I've even let her grab the spoon or my hand and pull it towards her mouth. Once she stops opening her mouth for it I stop offering it.

Are there any ways to make sure she is still able to lead how much she eats...

Thanks everyone
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: Starting baby food with my 5 month old

The easiest way to allow baby to self-regulate her solid food intake is to take away the spoons and stop buying the cereals and purees. Serve her small portions of baby-friendly solids- things like mashed, steamed veggies, smashed beans, o-shaped cereal, or shredded soft meats- and allow baby to experiment with putting solids into her own mouth. Since it's recommended that solids be introduced starting at 6 months, and that babies continue to receive the majority of their nutritional intake from breastmilk (or formula) until 12 months, there's no reason to worry whether or not your baby actually eats anything. Until around the first birthday, solids are for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They are not necessary for nutrition, and many babies continue to be primarily breastfed will into their second year.

If you're interested in ditching the spoon, search this forum for threads on "baby-led solids" or "baby-led weaning" (as it is called in Great Britain).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes I agree with mommal, the super pureed baby foods are super pureed for a reason-they are for introducing solids before a baby is really ready for solids! Baby food companies want to get kids eating their stuff as soon as possible to maximize profits. That said, as long as you continue to nurse prior to offering the baby food, keep all solids experimental/for fun only, and hold off on letting a 'solid" meal replace any nursing sessions, breastfeeding will be protected, although it will usually mean lots of jarred food will go to waste. I started my oldest off slowly on the pureed jarred stuff starting at about 5 and a half months (before I learned about baby led solids) and it could take several days to make it through one tiny jar and of course, once opened, it had to be discarded before it was all gone.

Several moms in my local Group have bemoaned the way WIC seems to push unwanted pureed jarred baby foods on them when they want to do baby led solids and/or make their own baby food. Luckily since the jarred foods have a long unopened shelf life you have the option to use what you get now later in various recipes for adults or kids & in smoothies, popsicles etc. You can find recipes online.

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition) has an excellent chapter on starting solids that I highly recommend to anyone.

The lady at WIC wasn't pushy with me, I chose to take the coupons in case I wanted to start them. I figured I could donate them if I don't use them. Also my older two girls like the banana's and I figured it's healthier than puddings if that is what they want for a snack.

I wanted to start when she was able to pick pieces up on her own, but she seemed so angry with me when I would eat and not share, I tried toys and things but she keeps wanting what is in my hands. So I would give her a taste of the juice of whatever I was eating and she seemed to jump with joy. She won't sit up on her own yet when she does try she slouches forward.

Thanks for the advise. I will read that chapter again, see if it helps me.
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

At 5 mo old - I gave my babies an empty bowl and spoon to play with during meals (babie weren't eating yet but were at the table with us during meal times).

Another big fan here of doing "baby led" solids!

We waited until our baby was developmentally ready for solids - which includes sitting up well. See this: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...s/solids-when/

then started *offering* baby food and let baby decide what and how much to eat. I had one kid who was interested in exploring food but didn't really eat until around 8.5 mo. And the other kid dove right into eating everything.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)