Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 months, finally getting better! But q's about supply

Default Re: 2 months, finally getting better! But q's about supply

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    It sounds like you are doing great!!!

If diaper output and weight gain are good, then your baby is getting enough milk. Since he has a weight check in a few days, I would look at diapers until then - if it's coming out, it had to go in right?

What you are describing sounds a lot like a growth spurt or a milestone coming up or teething or even just a crabby day - there are so many reasons for fussiness and non-stop nursing. If you have a sling, I would just tuck him in there and let him nurse non-stop. I've done just that on many occasions.
    Oh, and I didn't mean to dismiss what you said - it may be a growth spurt, teething etc. - I just can't help worrying so am looking for more reassurance, I guess.

I do have a sling but don't think we are quite ready to nurse in it yet, I don't think I would be able to get him to latch properly! Maybe one day...

I too have had problems with engorgement, quick feedings and often feedings. One thing that has helped put my mind at ease was I bought an infant scale. I have the "health-o-meter" I found on amazon. Everyday I weigh him before and after one feed. It helps track growth spurts and you can see how well you are producing. Some feeds he eats more than others and he cluster feeds in the evening to store up for his 6 hour sleep session. At the end of every week I calculate how much he's gained and he has always exceeded the normal 8oz. At about one month he also had a few runny stools and I called my dr. Because I thought it was diarrhea but she said my milk was just changing and just make sure his eyes and mouth are moist if not than he's dehydrated. His stools were back to normal in a day.
    Also if he is getting too much foremilk his stools will be green and that could make his tummy upset making him fussy. Try to keep him one one breast as long as possible. This will ensure he gets the hinemilk.

Thanks, I do get him weighed each week, so probably won't get the scale. But thanks for the suggestion.

His eyes and mouth look ok to me, and his stools aren't green. I do try to keep him on one breast until he has finished, but because his latch still isn't great, I sometimes have to swap him round because I am getting too sore.

Last night he just wanted to feed! I kept putting him to the breast, he would take a little then fall asleep, but if I moved him he would cry and only settle if I gave him some more. Then he would take a little, fall asleep again etc. Is this nursing for comfort? If he was really hungry I am guessing he would try harder, or cry if there wasn't any milk there. I did try to express a little and there was milk there, so I'm guessing he wasn't really hungry.

He is a bit cranky again this morning and isn't happy on his playmat as he usually is. Up to this point (nearly 10 weeks) he has been very happy to play on his own, but last night he just wanted to be at my breast. Do babies start to want their moms more as they get older?

Well, I'm not sure how to feel about today. Toby did a HUGE bowel movement this morning, and his poops and pees have been good all week, so I was hoping his weight gain was good. But he only put on 110g this week, which I think is a bit low.

What has confused things is that he had some jabs yesterday,had a bit of a temperature overnight, and hasn't eaten much since - so maybe the low-ish weight gain is down to his lack of appetite, along with the big bowel movement this morning. The IBCLC I saw today said his weight gain is ok, as long as he is pooping and peeing well, and seems happy and alert (which he does). But she then said I should continue the supplements and pumping as needed, if he is not feeding effectively because he is feeling unwell after the jabs and is hungry. She said I will know when he is hungry, but I really don't think I do!

I spoke to the other IBCLC who has been helping me and she also said his weight gain is ok, and that perhaps he is gaining length instead. She agreed that as long as his poops and pees are good, and he is alert and happy, I shouldn't worry, but she said she doesn't think I need to supplement him, unless he is obviously hungry and can't get enough at the breast.

So I am still quite confused about what to do, whether to exclusively BF or to supplement, just in case. He hasn't been feeding very well today, so after he had a small feed and fell asleep, I pumped - but then he woke up, wanted milk, couldn't get enough at the breast, so I supplemented him with 25ml and finished him off at the breast.

We were doing so well this week but he has started to hurt me again, and most of the time my nipple is coming out squashed/flattened. I am trying really hard to get a deeper latch, including different positions, sandwiching my breast, the 'nipple flip' etc, but just can't seem to get it. Goodness knows how he is getting the milk out! He seems happy but honestly, this is one of the most frustrating things I have ever gone through, and I am FED UP OF HAVING SORE NIPPLES!!!

Both the IBCLCs seem relaxed about his progress and are telling me not to worry but are they right, really?

Yes, they are right babies do not grow in a linear pattern.

I'd be more worried about the latch getting sloppy again myself.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Some weeks baby will put more calories into length than weight, or vice versa, and later in his first year he'll start putting more calories into action (reaching, rolling, sitting up, crawling) and some of his baby chub will melt off.

110 g (about 3.9 oz) is on the low side. I'd keep an eye on his weight, and if you get another week or so of relatively slow weight gain I think I might consider adding some pumping and supplements back into your routine. But don't freak out- you got him to gain weight on the breast alone and that is a huge achievement!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks both He is 10 weeks old today. Is it still possible that his latch can improve, or is it unlikely to at this age? I am trying so hard to be strong but the slow progress really gets me down some days, and I feel trapped in the house as I'm not confident nursing in public

It's never too late too work on a latch. My son needed reminders after many of his teeth erupted and his latch got lazy, even after a year. Don't get too down. Keep working on it, and he'll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*indigoelectron View Post
    I do have a sling but don't think we are quite ready to nurse in it yet, I don't think I would be able to get him to latch properly! Maybe one day...
    Try it. You won't know how well nursing in a sling will work until you try. It can take some practice even when your baby has a good latch; so don't be too discouraged if it doesn't work terribly well right away.

If you are feeling trapped in the house, then some practice nursing in a sling can help get you out of the house. Nursing in a sling is about as discreet as it gets (I have carried on conversations with strangers on the street while my baby nursed ), allows you to keep moving and do as you please, and is mostly hands free. Get a nursing cover if you really aren't comfortable with babywearing. Or just practice in some different outfits. Pretty much nothing shows if you've got the right clothing on.

You need to get out. Sitting around inside is not good for you physically or emotionally. If you absolutely cannot bring yourself to nurse in public, at least go for a couple short walks with your baby every day. But nursing in public is pretty easy with some practice, so tart practicing at home now and you will probably start feeling more confident soon.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks phi. I do try to get out most days but don't feel I can go far. It's not the embarrasment of NIP, more that I think I won't be able to latch him on. I have to admit that I have more or less given up hope. I realised yesterday that not only is his latch very shallow, he now has a weak suck too (it wss much stronger in the first couple of weeks which is why he was hurting me). I will be seeing the IBCLC again this week for help but to be honest, if there is no improvement soon I will have to give up. All I think about is breastfeeding and it has taken over everything :-(