Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awake time?

Default Awake time?

Should my 5 week old be sleeping as often as he had been in earlier weeks?

(eating every 2 hours/sleeping the 2 hours between feedings)

He seems to just take cat naps unless someone sleeps with him, and then he sleeps longer/deeper.
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Default Re: Awake time?

Some babies hit growth spurts around the 5-6 wk mark. Then you may notice him eating more often and sleeping more often. Or, he could be coming down with a cold of some sort. Hard to tell here. How long has this been going on??
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

No no. He seems to JUST be taking short 30-40 minute cat naps after eating UNLESS I lay down with him and give him that skin to skin contact, and only THEN he'll sleep more deeply.
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Anything is possible and just when you think they are exhibiting a pattern, they change it up on you! Is he eating well? Plenty of wet diapers? And as pp mentioned, he could be fighting something.

And my experience has always been that my babies sleep more deeply and longer when I or DH are sleeping next to them. We co-sleep with both.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

..he's not sleeping more. LESS! LESS!

That sounds normal to me. Every baby is different. Some babies sleep a few hrs at a time others split the time up through the day. As long as the PP mentioned about the diaper output, he should be fine. All babies like the skin to skin contact so it's not suprise he sleeps better with the contact.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Most babes sleep better with a parent with them. It's a survival thing. By instinct. They don't know that they won't be eaten by a bear or tiger. But a baby left alone as people used to live would very quickly die of exposure and hunger. So his instincts are to keep mom close, and that means be wakeful if baby is laid down to sleep alone.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Ok. Still totally normal, mama.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*paytek View Post
    No no. He seems to JUST be taking short 30-40 minute cat naps after eating UNLESS I lay down with him and give him that skin to skin contact, and only THEN he'll sleep more deeply.
    Babies become much more wakeful as they get older. Mine got to the point where I was really lucky to get 15-20 minute naps out of him. It is also normal for him to sleep better close to you. Take the opportunity to get a nap for yourself or get a sling so that your baby can sleep near you while you get some things done.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

After 2 or 3 weeks, my ds never slept well during the day unless he was laying on me or dh or if he was in the car seat and the car was moving. He's 11 weeks now, and it's the same. I just roll with it and try to take a nap if I can. He knows what he needs, and it's totally normal for him to feel the most comfortable near mom or dad.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12