Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cephalexin and Hexaflu

Exclamation Cephalexin and Hexaflu

Hi all. I just returned from my primary doctor and I have a respiratory infection. She prescribed Cephalexin 500mg 3 times per day and Hexaful (dexchlorpheniramine maleate 2mg, pseudoephedrine HCL 45mh, and acetaminophen 650mg) as needed. My doc said both are safe to take while nursing and I have a call into the Ped Doc to confirm this but I thought I would check on line too. Sadly, when I searched on line and found that conflicting information for both.

For the Cephalexin I found:
    NURSING MOTHERS: Cephalexin is in the FDA pregnancy category B. This means that it is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not, however, take cephalexin without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment.
    NURSING MOTHERS: Cephalexin is excreted in breast milk. Nursing mothers should avoid using cephalosporins or stop breastfeeding while taking a cephalosporin.

Hexaful
    Nursing Mothers: No Known Risk: AMER ACAD OF PEDIATRICS CONSIDERS THIS DRUG COMPATIBLE WITH BREASTFEEDING.
    Nursing Mothers: Due to the possible passage of pseudoephedrine and dexchlorpheniramine into breast milk, and, because of the higher than usual risk for infants from sympathomimetic amines and antihistamines, the benefit to the mother vs. the potential risk should be considered and a decision should be made whether to discontinue nursing or to discontinue the drug.

I do not know what I should do. In the past when I have had a respiratory infection it quickly turns into pneumonia. Most importantly I do not want to make my LO sick. If possible I do not want to loose the ability to breast feed my LO. It has been such a hard road to get her to nurse and we have come so far I would hate to fail now.

Any suggestions????
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: Cephalexin and Hexaflu

I would immediately call back your docter and voice your concerns LOUDLY.

Default Re: Cephalexin and Hexaflu

I went in to talk to the Ped Doc in person and she said the Cephalexin was fine to take with breastfeeding. She said the Hexaflu "Can" be taken if really needed but I should not take it al the time (just at night if really needed). I think I will just cough and do without the Hexaflu!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk