Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on spacing out feedings, co-sleeping.

Default Re: Need advice on spacing out feedings, co-sleeping.

I don't blame you!! When we returned all the ones DS didn't like, we bought a crapload of Nuks. Still have the receipt in case we have to try yet another brand!!

Don't worry about transitioning him to a bed. My LO is 3.5 months, co-slept from a few days on and we transitioned him to his bed for the beginning of the night just a week ago. It worked beautifully. We just waited until his bedtime naturally started earlier and we are now putting the 2 older kids down first (LO assists with the bedtime ritual... : ) ) and then LO is nursed, sung to, rocked a little and out like a light. Usually goes to sleep around 8 and sleeps until 1 or 2. My very kind DH gets him when he wakes and brings him to me and he stays the rest of the night in my bed. It's working out very very well.

As for the paci, your LO sounds like mine, he does the same thing. I've discovered, he just doesn't want it most of those times. He sucks on his fingers at times but mostly, he wants to comfort suck. I let him as much as is feasible... but, it doesn't always work out.

I love and hate paci's. Mainly because they can cause your milk supply to decrease since that is less time they are BF, but also love them because they can help calm a fussy baby. My last child WOULD NOT take a paci, but guess what? Magically took one when he was SIX months old! By then I said forget it, he did ok without even tho it sometimes got a little noisy
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

I would be looking for a new pediatrician! "Sleep training" and "snacker" are big red flags that they are NOT going to support your breastfeeding relationship.
    EBFing, CDing, BWing, co-sleeping mamma to Bennett (9/5/11).
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*darwinthesun View Post
    "Sleep training" and "snacker" are big red flags that they are NOT going to support your breastfeeding relationship.
    Unfortunately, this is very true. Today it's sleep training and "snacking", and tomorrow it's going to be introducing solids at 4 months old and nutrition advice which is geared to getting your baby weaned by a year, if not sooner.

I don't know if I would necessarily look for a new pediatrician just because I didn't like her advice on nursing, solids, and sleep. I want my pediatrician to be a good diagnostician, to be able to recognize normal growth patterns, to take my insurance, and to have same-day appointment availability. I also want her to look at my kids first, and not get hung up on where they fall on the charts. If she can do all that, then I figure I can work out my own feeding/sleeping advice- especially if I have this forum to fall back on!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Unfortunately, this is very true. Today it's sleep training and "snacking", and tomorrow it's going to be introducing solids at 4 months old and nutrition advice which is geared to getting your baby weaned by a year, if not sooner.

I don't know if I would necessarily look for a new pediatrician just because I didn't like her advice on nursing, solids, and sleep. I want my pediatrician to be a good diagnostician, to be able to recognize normal growth patterns, to take my insurance, and to have same-day appointment availability. I also want her to look at my kids first, and not get hung up on where they fall on the charts. If she can do all that, then I figure I can work out my own feeding/sleeping advice- especially if I have this forum to fall back on!
    I agree with mommal on this... one thing my husband and best friend are pretty steadfast on is that your pediatrician was not trained in dietary needs. They have brief education on it, but their focus is medical. If you want dietary advice, you see a dietician. Pediatricians tend to want to give advice across the board, when it is not needed.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03