Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch!!

Default Ouch!!

Is it common to have nipple pain with a blocked duct? Mine hurts big time. The breast tissue feels bruised, but the nipple feels like he is shearing it off (no visible damage).
    EBFing, CDing, BWing, co-sleeping mamma to Bennett (9/5/11).
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

Default Re: Ouch!!

Often the cause for a blocked duct is a nipple bleb/milk bister, and those hurt like the dickens. After your baby nurses, take a close look at the nipple skin, and try expressing some milk. You may notice white spot, dot, or a transparent blister, or may just notice that one pore that usually gives milk isn't giving any (if you're familiar with the general location of your nipple pores).

Treatments for blebs:
    - moisture- try soaking in warm water, use lanolin ointment, or keep a cotton ball w/ olive oil on it tucked into your nursing bra over the nipple
    - vary baby's nursing position and try to get suction going in a different area
    - release the blster using a sterile needle- flame needle until it glows red, then pick gently at the skin over the blister, stopping periodically to express milk and see if anything is coming out of the blocked area. Do not be tempted to have someone else do this for you: you can feel better than anyone else when the needle is going too far.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. I have been suspecting a bleb, but I can't see it. I have been using warm moist compresses and nursing lots with different positions, but I will try some of the other things you mentioned too. This is day 4 and it still hurts. At least the knot in my boob has released, but it still feels bruised a bit. Now it is really just the nipple that hurts so badly.

I just don't know why it is happening after 10 months of awesome nursing. Boo.
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

Often blebs pop up when a baby is teething and is changing his latch a bit to soothe his sore gums. At 10 months, I'd be surprised if your baby wasn't teething to some degree!

One the plug releases, the bleb is broken and you don't need to poke around with the needle. It's just going to take a while to heal- a broken bleb is basically a tiny crack. But they heal fast, usually in under a week. If you have pain much past a week, then this could be something else.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks again, that gives me hope! He is teething right now. He cut his third (first upper) a few weeks ago and the fourth is right behind it, so that makes a lot of sense.