Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: stop pumping but continue breatfeeding?

Default stop pumping but continue breatfeeding?

Hello
    I am new here, so apologies if my question sounds silly.

My daughter just turned one year old. She nurses happily three times a day, early morning, afternoon and evening after eating solids.
    I am pumping my milk nights and mornings but the quantity I get is decreasing everyday and I am frankly very tired of pumping. Moreover, the little one doesn't want to drink my milk from bottles or cups anymore and I keep stocking milk in the freezer for nothing.

I would like to give up pumping but, at the same time, keep nursing my child.
    Do you think that's possible? Will the milk supply dry out if give up those two (now inefficient) pumping sessions?

Thanks for the help

Default Re: stop pumping but continue breatfeeding?

your question is not silly!
    Although I did not use a pump, my sister did b/c she worked full time.
    At about a year she weaned herself off the pump and nursed while she was home.
    At day care her lo took water or juice in a sippy cup and ate food.
    But my sister weaned from the breast that same month.
    I don't know if it was because her milk supply was so low that her child lost interest or if it was b/c her child was ready to move on.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

A lot of moms pump wean at a year. Your milk supply will decrease by the amount those 2 pump sessions yielded, but it won't dry up altogether. As long as your baby continues to nurse, you will continue to make milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You can pump wean and still breastfeed. I pump weaned when my son was about a year. We nursed when together when he wanted. Your body will adjust to the demand. It sounds like you make enough for him!
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Thank you for your answers!
    I think I will try suspending the pump and see how it goes.

I would wean from the sessions one at a time. As to not cause yourself to get engorged.

Way too lazy for formula

You absolutely can pump-wean and continue nursing. I stopped pumping when my son was about 10 months old, and he nursed until he was 21 months old.

I'm pump-weaning too, and have been anxious about this. I'm down to 2 sessions a day at work, and will cut the 2nd one next week. I'm not worried about the morning/night during the week, but how do people nurse on the weekends and then not need to pump during the week? It seems to me like it would bump supply back up. I'm starting a new job in August and definitely don't want to have to start pumping there. Pumping sucks, but I'd nurse forever!
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*adb821 View Post
    I'm not worried about the morning/night during the week, but how do people nurse on the weekends and then not need to pump during the week? It seems to me like it would bump supply back up.
    Milk production is a little different after a year. Toddler nursing can be really erratic; they want to stay latched 24/7 one week, then the next week they've got too many better things to do and only nurse a bit here and there. Your body seems to adapt to this by producing milk as needed rather than constantly making lots of milk (of course your body is still always making milk, but it is different and you don't get big stores of milk backing up). It is still possible to get a little uncomfortable if you go a really long time without nursing, but it is nothing like the engorgement you experience with an infant. You should be able to nurse a much as ou want on the weekends without having any problems on weekdays. I'm off for the summer, but my son will go on a non-stop nursing streak, then one day decide he is too busy to nurse most of the day or I will go into the office just for the day and I haven't had any problems at all.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I pump weaned at 11 months, son takes whole milk at DC and I nurse him in the morning and evening (on weekdays0 and whenever he wants on weekends, which is usually 3 times. I haven't had any trouble at all with supply and he is 14.5 months old.
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!