Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over eating and reflux

Default Re: Over eating and reflux

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*5ofus View Post
    We also had to resort to medication. DS cried constantly for 2 months. Had it just been spit up I wouldn't have worried about it. The spitting up stage passes very quickly.
    Yeah, DS1 actually spit up WAY more and DS2 swallowed a lot down. DS2 was so miserable that we only got him off the meds at 2 years.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I just want to chime in to say that I had over supply but didn't have most of the signs. My breast felt full almost all the time, but I didn't have over active let down, didn't have super leaky breasts, didn't spray milk across the room and never got plugged ducts. The only thing I had to go by was my baby's symptoms and super full breasts. Only giving him one breast per feeding made a huge difference, immediately.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    Yeah, DS1 actually spit up WAY more and DS2 swallowed a lot down. DS2 was so miserable that we only got him off the meds at 2 years.
    Ugh... we were able to wean off meds around 11 months... 2 yrs is tough!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sassypants View Post
    I just want to chime in to say that I had over supply but didn't have most of the signs. My breast felt full almost all the time, but I didn't have over active let down, didn't have super leaky breasts, didn't spray milk across the room and never got plugged ducts. The only thing I had to go by was my baby's symptoms and super full breasts. Only giving him one breast per feeding made a huge difference, immediately.
    I have read a lot that OALD/oversupply can be a culprit of the reflux symptoms...good to know that you don't always display all the classic symptoms. I never dealt with this though, could you elaborate a little more on how you mommas combated the issue?
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    If milk is just coming back up but the baby isn't suffering, then there is no reason to take any action, and especially not cutting back on feedings.
    Don't let anyone make something that isn't a problem into a problem! As long as your baby isn't uncomfortable, simply nursing on demand- and that includes unlimited amounts of comfort nursing- will eventually bring your supply to the right level without you reding to drive yourself crazy and make your baby sad with timed feedings.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks everyone for all the advice and encouragement! I get frustrated sometimes wondering if I'm doing the right thing for him...I just want what's best for him! The reflux does seem to make him uncomfortable. He doesn't always spit up, and when he does it doesn't bother him. He does however make wheezing and gurgling noises and grunts like he's trying to clear his throat. I hate to think that it could be causing him pain and it does disrupt his sleep. He lays there (and I have inclined his mattress and it's helping a little) and is so restless and makes all those noises and just doesn't seem happy, but he also doesn't cry. This goes on for an hour or two sometimes.

Babies are often quite bothered by normal digestive processes. After all, until 5 weeks ago your baby never had to eat, digest, poop, or pass gas. As long as baby isn't crying or seeming really distressed when he's making those gurgling, throat-clearing noises, I'd probably lable him a "happy spitter" and treat this as more of a laundry issue than a health issue.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*5ofus View Post
    I have read a lot that OALD/oversupply can be a culprit of the reflux symptoms...good to know that you don't always display all the classic symptoms. I never dealt with this though, could you elaborate a little more on how you mommas combated the issue?
    OS is typically combated with block feeding, only offering one breast for set periods of time.

I am not trying to push this theory, and the OP isn't convinced that OS is an issue, I just wanted share my experience.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sassypants View Post
    OS is typically combated with block feeding, only offering one breast for set periods of time.

I am not trying to push this theory, and the OP isn't convinced that OS is an issue, I just wanted share my experience.
    Of course! Thanks for sharing.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

Nursing in a reclined position and nursing very frequently was what worked best to deal with my OALD. I did some block feeding for my OS, which helped me a little, but it didn't help as much with my son's spit up, gas, biting, etc. that were more OALD related than OS related.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

My guy is a little grunter too. I think it's gas related (from gulping down milk), and I try to bicycle his legs during the day. And burp him a ton. It's hard at night bc he falls asleep immediately after nursing, and he usually starts grunting around 5 or 6 in the morning. It's funny because he's not even awake when he does it...I was worried he was uncomfortable bc it sounds uncomfortable! But he seems to deal with it well. I hope it's not always going to be like this.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12