Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over eating and reflux

Default Over eating and reflux

I took my LO (he is 1 month old) to the doctor yesterday because I noticed he was wheezing and making gurgling noises after he ate. Also, it would sound like he was congested but I would suction his nose and nothing would come out. My ped has been very supportive of breast feeding and asked how much he had been eating. On the few occasions I have had to give him a bottle of breast milk he takes about 4 ounces and when I nurse he eats 15 to 20 minutes per side. The ped said his reflux is most likely caused by over eating and that his stomach can't hold the amount that he's eating so it comes back up as reflux. He then weighed him and my LO gained three and a half pounds in three ad a half weeks...he said he wasn't concerned about how much he weighed, just how fast he gained the weight. He said that seemed to confirm that he was probably over eating. I have been nursing on demand, but I think he was doing a lot of comfort nursing because I have been trying to give him a pacifier when he is fussy and seems hungry but has just eaten and he seems perfectly content with it. I haven't had any problems with nipple confusion so it doesn't bother me to give him a pacifier. The ped recommended cutting his nursing back just a little, maybe lessening it a minute per side very three or four days and then we will see how he's doing when he goes back in a month. Also to put a pillow or rolled up blanket under his mattess to raise his head up slightly. I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems with reflux due to over eating.

Default Re: Over eating and reflux

Your Levi sounds a lot like my Levi. He had reflux, and he was a big eater and a fast gainer, but I'm pretty sure it's because I had oversupply and overactive let down. It caused him to be fussy and want to comfort nurse a lot. I would not lessen how much he is nursing though; that is not the advice I would personally give. Here is a fact sheet on oversupply/overactive letdown: http://www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html Does any of this sound familiar?
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Here is another resource about breastfed babies and weight gain. Really, I wouldn't worry about the rapid weight gain. My Levi gained very, very fast in the beginning, but is a tiny little guy now.

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-toomuch/
    Beth

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

The only reason cutting back a little and my doctor recommended it was because of the reflux issue...did your son suffer from that?

Also, thank you for the article...I read it and I don't think I'm having an over supply or let down issue. He nurses very well and doesnt really show any of the signs described. I think I've just been letting him comfort nurse too much. His reflux problem seems worse at night which may partly be me my fault...it's sometime hard for me to not drift off a little during his middle of the night feeding and I'm letting him suck away even when he's obviously done eating :-(

My guy is very similar too; he's 11 weeks and already double his birth weight. I have some OS/OALD issues, but he doesn't show many of those signs except lots of gas, spit up in the mornings, and tons of poopy diapers. He's in the 95 percentile for everything, and our pediatrician says that's great.

Most ladies on here will say the reflux isn't an issue unless it's making baby super uncomfortable. I think you should keep nursing as long as he wants. Even the comfort nursing is important.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*levis.mommy View Post
    Also, thank you for the article...I read it and I don't think I'm having an over supply or let down issue. He nurses very well and doesnt really show any of the signs described. I think I've just been letting him comfort nurse too much. His reflux problem seems worse at night which may partly be me my fault...it's sometime hard for me to not drift off a little during his middle of the night feeding and I'm letting him suck away even when he's obviously done eating :-(
    Yes, he had reflux. If your supply is adequate and you don't think you have oversupply, then cutting back on nursing is probably a bad idea. You could find yourself with an inadequate supply. Nursing on demand at this age is super important. We opted for medication, which is probably a better option than cutting back on nursing. I doubt the reflux is caused by comfort nursing anyway, because since at that point he's nursing more for comfort and probably not getting a whole lot of milk, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that would be causing him to get too much milk.
    Beth

Hey momma, my LO did have reflux, nursed a ton and gained very quickly in the beginning. That kind of weight gain in a breastfed baby is generally normal. They gain a lot in the first year, then it slacks off. We discovered my LO reflux at about 2 months, but even now looking back there were many factors I didn't take into account for treating him/me to help cope. Cutting back feedings would never be a route to take. There were several occassions that my LO would nurse so much that in minutes it would ALL come back up and I just couldn't believe how much he had eaten! BUT, it was A-OK. Now my LO did have silent reflux, where he didn't actually spit up, but it came up and went back down (more like adult refulx, poor guy). From my experience, nursing on demand was the biggest help for him. It would have been even moreso had he actually spit up all the time. Then at least I would know he was digesting some of that milk before it came back up since breast milk is digested so quickly.

Sad, but true, is that a lot of peds don't fully understand a breastfeeding relationship and the uses of breastfeeding. Even as well intentioned as they are. Suggesting to limit a baby's nursing never seems like good advice to me (unless there is an issue that I just haven't heard of). Keep nursing that baby momma.

What I did to combat reflux:

inclining LO for at least 30 minutes after each nursing
    burp often (as in 2- 3 times each feeding just to be sure)
    baby wear (keep that baby close to you, its comforting and some of the positions are helpful for their discomfort)

Now in saying all that... a thought came to me. Does baby seem to be uncomfortable? Or just spitting up a lot? As stated by PP and said by many very smart ladies on here: spit up that is not uncomfortable is merely a laundry issue.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03
    Our family blog
    And my own blog

Good point, I thought I read something about the baby seeming uncomfortable, but I don't really see that reading back. If milk is just coming back up but the baby isn't suffering, then there is no reason to take any action, and especially not cutting back on feedings. We medicated DS2 because he was super uncomfortable, but DS1 constantly spit up and it didn't seem to bother him at all so we took no action at all.
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    Good point, I thought I read something about the baby seeming uncomfortable, but I don't really see that reading back. If milk is just coming back up but the baby isn't suffering, then there is no reason to take any action, and especially not cutting back on feedings. We medicated DS2 because he was super uncomfortable, but DS1 constantly spit up and it didn't seem to bother him at all so we took no action at all.
    We also had to resort to medication. DS cried constantly for 2 months. Had it just been spit up I wouldn't have worried about it. The spitting up stage passes very quickly.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03
    Our family blog
    And my own blog