Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 6 and milk hasn't came in

Default Day 6 and milk hasn't came in

This is my first time posting on here. I'm desperately searching for some encouragement. I gave birth to twins last Thursday and am currently on day 6 and my milk hasn't came in. Is this normal? Im nursing them together every 2 hours for as long as they will go then supplementing with formula because their weight had dropped below the 10% they allow after birth. I'm getting a pump tomorrow and am going to try to pump after I nurse to stimulate more milk. I tried drinking a beer today and that didn't work. I'm getting really discouraged and may even be starting to get ppd because of it. Any words of encouragement or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Day 6 and milk hasn't came in

congrats on the babies mama!

this is a link with good basic info on if they are getting enough milk

try not to get discouraged.

is it possible you have been nursing so much you did not feel engorged? have they passed the meconium?

what are their diapers like?

I would recommend keeping them at the breast basically all the time. maybe use compressions while they nurse initially.

and contact a IBCLC, it would be great to get someone in to give you some hands on help.

how much formula are you using daily?

you are doing a great job mama.
    Last edited by @llli*Mtmama; July 4th, 2012 at 07:24 PM.

A Big Congratulations on the babies!

Their diapers were black and tarry in the hospital. My husband said some were greenish. I'm not quite sure because up until a couple days ago he was changing all the diapers while I'm recovering from my c/s. I thought that maybe because they were nursing so often my breasts never fully "filled up" but they obviously weren't getting much because they had lost too much weight by their first appt. Plus now, after 3 hours my breasts are still somewhat soft. Their pediatrician said to stop feeding them so often because my breasts aren't getting a chance to replenish the supply. They are taking anywhere from a 1/2 to 3/4 oz after every feeding, which is every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night.

What is meconium?

Meconium is that black tarry poop. It's the poop that baby has stored up while they were in the womb. Your colostrum (the tiny amounts of thick yellow milk you make before your milk "comes in," has a laxative effect that helps your baby poop that stuff out.

I'm sure other posters will have more advise, but I wanted to mention that feeding more often cues your body to make /more/ milk. The only time it's potentially better to feed less often is with a very weak newborn who's over-tired by trying to nurse. In that case, feeding less often is still bad for your milk production, but may be necessary until baby is stronger. http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-prep/milkproduction/ has a good explanation of milk production.

Try not to get discouraged!

Your body is always making milk, so waiting longer to feed them will only result in hungry babies! Plus it will signal your body to make less if milk isn't removed frequently. I think the best thing to do is let them nurse as long and as often as they want. Don't give up!
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

to your ped. That is incorrect advice, the BEST thing to bring in your milk is to NURSE. Milk supply is demand based, meaning the more often a demand is made, the more often milk is made. And this is early days, and often moms have slow milk arrival after a c-section.

Don't give up hope. Keep putti g babies to the breast, especially planning to END feedings at the breast, and you will get there. If you have to pump, pump every 2 hours around the clock, including at night, with a hospital grade pump if you can get one.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kswans82 View Post
    Their pediatrician said to stop feeding them so often because my breasts aren't getting a chance to replenish the supply.
    This is absolutely incorrect and it's terrible advice! This will kill your supply. Your breasts are constantly making milk, even when you are in the process of nursing or pumping. The best thing you can do to get your supply up is nurse, nurse, nurse. Don't look at the clock, don't go by how many hours it's been or how long they've been at your breast, go by the signs your baby and your body are giving you.

Your babies losing more than 10% of their birth weight DOESN'T necessarily mean your milk hadn't come in or that there isn't enough of it. They could be tiny and have weak sucks, their weight could have been inflated artificially by you getting IV fluids, there are many reasons.

I'd also recommend you find another pediatrician to talk to, as this one clearly doesn't know what he's talking about where breastfeeding is concerned.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

that is terrible advice from your ped. i'm sorry mama.

they will be nursing constantly to build your supply. the constant nursing does not mean they are not getting enough milk, that is what they need to do to signal your body how much to make.

how is your recovery going from your c-section?

What is with these pediatricians!? What horrible advice. Ick!

I was one of those mammas who was expecting my breasts to feel engorged when my milk came in and I never did! I was worried on day 5, and mentioned it to my nurse (we were still in the hospital) and she used her hand and a huge stream of milk shot out! She laughed and said my milk was definitely in, but since my LO was nursing so much I never felt engorged. It was actually a good thing, since it can be painful.

It is so hard and so stressful in those first few days, especially to see their weight dropping, but don't let it scare you! Try to trust your body, it does amazing things! Stick those babies on the breast and just let them eat. If your milk isn't in yet it will be soon!
    EBFing, CDing, BWing, co-sleeping mamma to Bennett (9/5/11).
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).