Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fish

Default Fish

Hi again

We've been giving DD3 (almost 8mo) whatever we are eating at the table, the other day we gave her a slice of cucumber :P

Today we are having fish, Sole, Do you think it's safe to give her that? If so, how would you prepare it? We usually cover the slices with breadcrumbs and cook it in the oven but I wouldn't give her that as it has egg in the mix.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Fish

My DS is 8 months and I've been wondering the same thing. I did a quick Google search last night and found that the AAP says fish can be safely given from 6 months, as long as baby has no food allergies or other sign of allergies (e.g. eczema). They actually say the same thing about eggs, too so she could probably have what the rest of the family is having. If you don't want to do eggs and fish at the same time, which you might not if she's never had either, then I would just cook the sole in a foil packet with some butter and lemon brushed on it or something simple like that. Hope that helps!

Fish is a great food for babies! It flakes apart really easily and is full of healthy fats. I usually try to stick with low mercury fish:

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/p.../ucm115644.htm

I believe that sole is pretty low mercury. Wild salmon was one one of the first foods that my son actually ate, and it is still one of his favorite foods. We grilled it, baked it with lemon and butter, and roasted it with a ginger glaze (his favorite). I never really prepared things any differently for him than for us (except cooking certain veggies a little longer). If you want to use bread crumbs but are worried about egg, try using butter instead of the egg and pressing the bread crumbs to that. My son had egg by 8 months too, though.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I would give it just the same as you are eating it. As the PP stated, the recommendation has changed on eggs. The other thing you could do is simply scrape off the coating.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Both my kids had fish and eggs at 8 months. My older son's favorite food is sushi!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

THANKS SO MUCH!! She'll be so happy haha

@jenna--really? sushi? I LOVE sushi but had never considered giving it to my son (8 months) since a lot is from raw fish. Is raw fish considered ok for babies too? I assumed it was a no-no. I guess I could always get him the cooked varieties of sushi instead, just wondering.

In America raw fish is considered a no-no for babies. However, according to my Japanese friends raw fish, in more of a shashimi style, is commonly fed to babies. We started giving sushi to DD when she was about a year old. She loves it. Of course we make sure it is high quality fish, not second rate grocery store fish bits .

The sushi I give the kids is sushi grade fresh fish from the sushi spot that we are super familiar with. That said I didn't do sushi until 12 months but cooked fish way before.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language