Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fears

Default Fears

So we are doing BLS with DD3 (almost 8 mo), we also did it with DD2 but for some reason I'm still scared she might choke. I never did a CPR course (always seemed to have an excuse ) And now it's even harder for me as I have 3 kids at home and no help. The other day my friend was feeding her son, same age as DD3 and it's her first! she gave her bread for him to munch on and she was more relaxed than me!

Am I paranoid to feel this way? I know I have to let the baby figure the way to bite and then swallow but I have to admit my heart jumps every time she gags! And I've only given her soft foods (avocado, sweet potato, lentils...) I would like to give her meats but I'm scared!

Any advice or words of encouragement will help me cope with this.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Fears

I felt the same way you do. I would practice showing my LO's how to softly gurgle food back up and spit them out.
    I pre-chewed most of the food any way.

I did use an item I saw in a baby store. It is designed to hold food in a cotton mesh tiny bag attached to a handle. The baby gnaws the food through the mesh.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Just go slow and stick with foods that you are comfortable giving. You are thinking about fish, right? Fish is great; it just flakes apart. Broccoli is good too; the flower head dissociates easily. A nice ripe pear is very soft and falls apart without much force.

If you are worried, try a piece of food yourself without chewing with your teeth to see how easily it can be eaten.

Don't get me wrong I was really worried too, but I just did my best roll with it. I also made sure that my husband or my mom was around when we first got started so that I wasn't alone if something happened. It gets much less scary as you go and your baby becomes more familiar with solids.

I personally don't see much difference between chewing a baby's food for her and giving a purée. The only difference between you chewing the food and giving it a couple pulses in the food processor is the added saliva and bacteria. Of course there is nothing wrong with that; it's just that it doesn't really qualify as BLS in my opinion.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

First of all thanks a lot for your replies!
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    Just go slow and stick with foods that you are comfortable giving. You are thinking about fish, right? Fish is great; it just flakes apart. Broccoli is good too; the flower head dissociates easily. A nice ripe pear is very soft and falls apart without much force.

If you are worried, try a piece of food yourself without chewing with your teeth to see how easily it can be eaten.

Don't get me wrong I was really worried too, but I just did my best roll with it. I also made sure that my husband or my mom was around when we first got started so that I wasn't alone if something happened. It gets much less scary as you go and your baby becomes more familiar with solids.

I personally don't see much difference between chewing a baby's food for her and giving a purée. The only difference between you chewing the food and giving it a couple pulses in the food processor is the added saliva and bacteria. Of course there is nothing wrong with that; it's just that it doesn't really qualify as BLS in my opinion.
    Yes, I will try today with the fish and I'm also boiling some pieces of sweet potato Looking forward to dinner time

Thanks!!!

She loved it!

That's great! Fish has always been one of my son's favorite foods.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).