Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need to wean due to health

Default Need to wean due to health

My twins are almost 2 years old and I love breatfeeding. Down to 3x a day. Due to my health though I need to wean them. I cannot lose the last 20 lbs I gained even just eating veggies and starving myself. I try to get in exercise but it is hard as I mom of three and I work. My blood sugar has become elevated and my hormones are out of sack. The problem is also I have tons of milk still even at three x a days. How do I get them off and stay comfy? I wonder if prolactin is too high? One item they have not tested yet.

Default Re: Need to wean due to health

Just eating veggies and "starving yourself" is most likely what is keeping you from losing those last 20 pounds. When you're not eating enough to sustain your daily activities, your body goes into survival mode and stores whatever you eat. Hence why your blood sugar's off and your hormones are "out of whack."

Add in more protein (lean: chicken, turkey, bison, beans, nuts). And make sure you're getting some whole grains (brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, millet, whole grain bread).

It seems counter-intuitive, but not if you really think about it. You need fuel in the tank in order to burn it efficiently!
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

It seems like every since having them my body is in survival mode even though I really just changed my diet to mostly veggies a few weeks ago. The same thing happened with my first one. No matter what I ate or exercised I could not lost the last 15 lbs until I completely weaned and I was down to one time a day with her. I think it is just my body type

If you starve yourself you're more likely to binge and not have energy to exercise. I don't think you need to wean to lose the weight but if you think you do and that is more important than continuing to nurse I don't think anyone is going to stop you. You can try decreasing length of sessions to wean and gradually wean, decide what session isn't as important and cut that out. My almost 3 yr old nurses a few times a day but just for a few seconds and only gets a drop of two of milk, so it is possible to continue to nurse while also having very, very low supply if you want to keep it up for the emotional benefits to your children.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

i agree with pp. not eating well will cause you not to lose weight and you will not have the energy you need to workout properly.

twenty pounds is much more than the body would hold onto in my opinion.

if you are eating too few calories and not the correct ratio of proteins, carbs and fats you will not lose weight.

real successful weight loss happens when we eat well and workout effectively. its the only way. also, your body needs some time to lose the weight and show the effects of all your hard work.

whatever you choose to do for working out is up to you, if you want help in that area just let us know. personally i run and do light weight training, and eat a lot of good clean food. it has worked well for me, but it is a commitment i make everyday. its hard work mama.

I guess I was trying to cut calories and carbs due to what my MD said and did not binge, but was really hungry in the process. I actually have not been too hungry for the last year, but trying to cut more calories and uping exercise was counter productive. Trying to eat when I am hungry now since I have been exercising more and see where that leads. I am hoping the blood sugar issue resolves it self. I had been sick for over a month and on predisone and antibotics prior to the testings. The twins had been sick too. I am hoping the meds caused some of the issues and everything will resolve soon.

I have gest. diabetes and, as much as I REALLY resented the diet I was put on, I think I am eating a proper balance of carbs and proteins for posibly the first time in my life, and stopped gaining any more weight and even lost a couple of pounds-WHILE VERY PREGNANT!
    I would suggest, since you (and I bet your kids) love nursing still, to consider trying other ideas for a bit...If you do wean, continue to wean very gradually and that will allow your milk production to get the message and dial it down naturally.

Getting more sleep is also important when losing weight. For excercise, I have found it helped if I did SOMETHING every day or as much as I could, even if nothing more than a 15 minute brisk walk on my lunch break or a short workout video in the morning or whatever-When I thought I needed to go to the gym or take a long walk to get excercise, I never got around to it.