Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3.5 week old, fussy and nursing is an athletic event...

Default 3.5 week old, fussy and nursing is an athletic event...

I am nursing my second baby, a son, who is 3.5 weeks old. He has become increasingly fussy, so that if he's not sleeping or eating (and even while eating) he'll be fussing - writhing, screaming, sticking his legs out straight. He is around 9 lbs with a birth weight of 7.10.

My first, a daughter, who has underlying health issues that may have contributed, ended up refusing to eat and failure to thrive and was given a feeding tube. She has silent reflux, aspirated and had a chronic lung disease that meant she was low on oxygen and breathed hard and fast. Because breast-feeding failed (I pumped tho) with her, I am paranoid the same will happen with my son. With my daughter she gained well the first 6 weeks (though always had a poor latch and refused to nurse at 2 weeks for a period and was on a special care bottle that the LC provided). Sometime around 6 weeks she stopped gaining and eventually started losing weight.

I think I have a bit of oversupply, he'll feed on one side and not want the second. I've been working to balance it out by block feeding. We also use positions such as side-lying or laid back to help him when I"m very full so he doesn't choke or gulp as much. He also seems to want to suck without getting milk at times so he'll latch and suck then pull off, spit milk out and scream.

When he eats, especially at the beginning, or when he's really fussy, he pulls off and relatches gulps a few swallows and repeats. When he re-latches he will latch fairly shallowly, so between the pulling of my nipples and shallow latch, I'm getting a bit sore again. I'm assuming this process also probably gives him more gas?

I had cut dairy from my diet for 2 weeks and added it back the day before yesterday. Yesterday he was way worse as far as fussiness and his stooling pattern changed from nearly every time he ate to just one big poop yesterday and going on 24 hours since pooing.

Any thoughts on whether these symptoms point toward Oversupply, to a dairy protein intolerance, etc.

Also, we are starting omeprazole with him today so we'll see if that helps too.

Thanks!

Default Re: 3.5 week old, fussy and nursing is an athletic event...

P.S. I forgot to add that at 9 days he had a fever, so was admitted (I guess its protocol to head of menengitis) for two days of IV antibiotics...I think this may be contributing to his stomach, which is always gurgling and gassy.

What you describe to me is reminiscent of oversupply and overactive letdown. You are using blocks, but could you describe your blocks? Are you overflowing with milk? Dies it shoot across the room? Are your breasts usually very full?

What he is doing sounds like your letdown is strong for him right now. Try reclining while nursing, or hand express a but to get the milk flowing, let the worst of it go into a towel and then latch him on.

Dairy must be cut fr at least 6 weeks to clear it from your system.

What happened with your daughter isn't what is going on here. You were pumping. That is a different beast altogether.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Blocks are generally 2 feedings and 4 hours on each side. No my milk doesn't shoot, but if he pulls off it will run out in quick drips. My breast don't feel as full now as they did, and in fact I didn't get as engorged when my milk came in with him as I did with my first.

It's pretty normal to not get as engorged with a second baby as it is with a first. It's like your body knows a bit better how to handle things.

I would maybe do three feedings on the same side, and start feedings with the side I ended on.

Block feeding can take a while to work. And if you feel like your supply isn't good, as evidenced by baby not making as many wets and not gaining weight well, then you stop block feeding.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!