Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I want to start breastfeeding my 6 week old baby?!

Unhappy I want to start breastfeeding my 6 week old baby?!

Hi ladies!

I am desperate to breastfeed my 6 week old baby and I want to know if its still possible. I hope you can offer some advice. :-)

My whole pregnancy I was dead set on breastfeeding. Breast is apsolutely best, there is no denying it. But I have flat nipples, they do stick out slightly when i touch them or when im cold, but the really dont stick out much, about half a cm!
    I tried breastfeedin when my baby was born but the midwife didnt help me at all and despite my best efforts, it was too painful and I regretably gave up. (im guessing it was painful because I didnt know how to make sure she was latching properly)

She has been artifically fed ever since.

I was/still am incrediably upset that I couldnt do it. I fee like less of a woman. I want to feed my baby. So frequently throught the day i have been squeezing my breasts and releasing a small amount of milk so that they dont dry up, in the hope that I can still breastfeed one day! :-S

So is it possible to breastfeed with flat/short nipples? Can I increase my milk supply, enough to EBF? Will my baby take to the breast after 6 weeks of bottles?

Sorry for the long story! Thank you.

Default Re: I want to start breastfeeding my 6 week old baby?!

Links to look at, as no, it's not impossible. HARD, but possible

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/p...ping_decrease/
    Scroll down this page to the part about flat nipples: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/bfhelp-mother/

If baby won't nurse, you have to bring your supply up via pumping. And it's possible. There was a mom who used to frequent here who went from 4 oz a day to providing everything her baby needed and had to exclusively pump as her baby refused to nurse. To do this:

Rent a hospital grade pump
    Make sure your horns are the right size
    Pump for 120 minutes every 24 hours, with at least 8 sessions and even better 10-12.
    Make sure you pump at least once between midnight and 5am.
    Do breast compressions.
    Don't drop sessions too soon. Once you get to the needed amount of milk, you can drop one or two. I pumped 6 times a day for the longest time.
    hard, hard work. So if baby will nurse, that is half tbebattle. It will take less time if baby will nurse. You can give needed supplements via an SNS.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Excellent advic from the PP. Do go through the links she posted- there's a lot of information in there. I also suggest trying to get your baby to latch on ASAP- a lot of moms think that they need to get their milk back before they put the baby to the breast, when you actually want to get baby to the breast while you work on getting your mi back.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have flat nipples and had a ton of problems nursing, that was one of the factors but there were more, but with hard work, I got through the first year (and another almost 2 yrs so far, but the hard part was the first year). It was worth the effort for me.

But agree with the previous posters, it will take work to get your milk supply and just hand expressing isn't going to be enough. Work at getting baby back to breast and pump with a very good hospital grade pump. When I was trying to get my supply up I pumped at least every 3 hrs including setting an alarm clock in the middle of the night. My IBCLC told me that any time you go over 3 hrs without removing milk (by baby or pump) you're telling your body to make less milk, something you definitely don't want to tell your body when you have low supply or haven't established a supply yet.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.