Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting wound that wont heal!

Default Biting wound that wont heal!

My daughter bit me a little over a month ago and tok a good chunk of skin off beside the nipple. I have been using lanolin as well as dr Leblanc cream (a prescription from midwife given when experienced crack nipples at beginning). The nipple does show improvement, but everytime she nurses it breaks the scab open. I don't think my supply is enough to only nurse on the unaffected side. It is very painful nursing on the side with the injury, but my baby is already not huge on breastfeeding and pretty much only nurses when sleepy so I don't want to throw her off. she is 11 months old and I would like to continue. Any suggestions on healing?

Default Re: Biting wound that wont heal!

Vary your nursing position so that baby's mouth doesn't always hit in the same place. Do saltwater rinses. Try a combination of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin antibiotic ointment to combat inflammation and infection (use pea-sized amount, mixed and applied using a clean finger; does not need to be washed off prior to nursing). Hydrate the scab before nursing by immersing the nipple in a shot glass full of warm water, or soaking with a wet washcloth (this should reduce pain when the scab tears open). Offer the undamaged breast first, since babies often suck less aggressively towards the end of the feeding.

As a last resort, you could always take baby off the damaged breast for a few days and pump it. Pumping is sometimes less damaging to the nipple than nursing, when baby's latch is marginal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"