Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when the signs are in the knees, she says

Default when the signs are in the knees, she says

i know that sounds really weird, but i live in the south, and my grandmother has some old wives tale about the farmer's almanac and the signs being in the knees today, and to not "feed" the baby.... first my dd just turned 1 last week, second she is pretty sick right now, third i am in no hurry to wean her at all, and i really don't care for all my family's friendly advice about doing so. they have been on my case to wean dd since she was 6 months old... idk why they think it is their business how my child eats, but they have made it theirs, and its driving me crazy! i just really don't see the big deal about taking our time with the whole process. she is really big on table foods and eats anything i do(or anyone else.lol) and i know in her time she will rather have food and her own drink, she is quite independent. but until that time comes i just really wish my family would lay off. no one i know (except one girl that i really don't know that well) has ever bf their baby, let alone for a whole year. they really just have no clue what bf is all about. just wanting to vent,because today, like every time i see her, my grandmother is on her "get gabby off the boob crusade" and i'm just real sick of it!

audrey SAHM to 3! ds 1/03(bf 10 wks./ff) dd 8/07(bf 4.5 months/ff) dd 6/11 ebf one whole year and going strong!

Default Re: when the signs are in the knees, she says

Mama, in your shoes I'd be so tempted to call my grandma on random days and say things like "Grandma, the signs are in the knees today. Don't watch Montel!" or "The signs are in the knees, Gran- best stay away from the Piggly Wiggly!"

Every time I see a state-by-state comparison of U.S. breastfeeding rates, guess where the lowest rates are? The south. It's not like things are so much better north of the Mason-Dixon, but at least there's somewhat more cultural acceptance of breastfeeding to a year. You're at the forefront of change for your region, and you should be proud of what you're doing! Don't let your family get to you, and if need be call on your inner Steel Magnolia and let your family know that you will "get Gabby off the boob" when you are good and ready, and until then they can keep their yaps shut. If you're one of those genteel southern girls who doesn't usually sass back to her family, that could be part of the issue. If you let people think they can push you, they will push you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'd say "thanks, but I have everything under control, don't worry!" definitely stick to your guns. this won't be the last thing she'll want to have a say about.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

"What I don't see anything on her knees, must have been a bug. I love you grandma!"

Of course I have special place in my heart for old southern ladies. I hope to be one some day.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

I love folklore (not to live life by necessarily) and this intrigued me so I looked it up online. Here is what I found: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/blog/2...t-day-to-wean/

The description is sketchy but I think from the comments this is meant to indicate a good day to wean someone or something from anything, assuming weaning is what one wants to do. It has nothing to do with this being a bad time to nurse, which made no sense to me, as that would mean starving a still nursing baby or animal if it was young enough, and while folklore is often unscientific and downright wacky at times, it also typically contains SOME logic. Actually this entry mentions it as a good day to wean a baby from a bottle.

My guess is this idea did once have a practical purpose when talking abut weaning farm animals, as in, it perhaps allowed for the optimal amount of time for a baby cow or goat (which would typically be born around the same time each year) to nurse so the baby would be healthy enough and big enough to be ready to go over completely to other foods and the owners could begin to milk the mother animal for their own use. Or when the owners needed to wean the baby animal in order to sell the baby or separate the mother and baby for some reason. Just my guess.

Since there is plenty of good evidence of the benefits of nursing up until at least age two if not longer, you could just ask grandma to alert you of each day that the signs are good for weaing, and so you will know what is a good day when you Do decide to wean. I do not mean to actaully follow the weaning scedule in the farmers almanac, I mean just show your grandmother you are listening to her and show her the respct for her beliefs she is not showing for yours.

I like this about nursing a toddler: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; July 4th, 2012 at 05:53 PM.

I've gone through this is well, maybe saying something like, "Thanks but this works for our family", or "We're working on weaning" (Which you really are starting to wean when baby starts solids) is enough to keep people quiet. Maybe even not even responding to their rediculousness would be enough to give them a hint.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Whenever my opinionated sister gives me parenting advice, instead of saying anything back about what she said I give her advice back. Goes something like this:

"Geez, you should wean him. He is already standing!"

"You really shouldn't eat those potato chips, they are so bad for you. Oh...sorry, I thought we were exchanging opinions."
    EBFing, CDing, BWing, co-sleeping mamma to Bennett (9/5/11).
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

How incredibly fascinating! I mean, I'm sure it's frustrating for you getting unwanted advice, but I think it's really cool sometimes to hear some of the 'words of wisdom' older people come up with.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    How incredibly fascinating! I mean, I'm sure it's frustrating for you getting unwanted advice, but I think it's really cool sometimes to hear some of the 'words of wisdom' older people come up with.
    and When my first kid was born, one of my aunties sternly advised me never to leave my child in the stroller outside the grocery store when I went in to shop, because a cat could jump up on her face and smother her. I thanked her for the advice, thinking "Yeah, if I leave my newborn in a stroller outside a grocery store, my big concern should be stray cats. Not the police, not random kidnappers and pederasts. Cats."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Cats?!?!?!? Bahahahahahah