Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: FTM- About to Start Work Again

Default FTM- About to Start Work Again

Good Evening Ladies,

I'm a FTM and going back to work on July 16th. (I'm going to miss my LO so much, makes me tear up thinking about it).

I've been asking questions on the 0-3 month forum, but going to post here as well. I've highlighted my specific questions in red, would love your advice.

First, I know I need to start pumping once a day everyday at the same time till I get back to work. Enough to cover her first day while I'm at work. She's 6 weeks old right now but she's a bigger baby, probably 12 pounds at this point. I've had to supplement a couple times and she's drank 4-5 ounces in one setting! Does this mean I'll need like 20 ounces on my first day back to work stored up? In other words, I'm not sure how much I need to leave my DCP. Or what does bottle pacing mean? (someone mentioned this on the other forum). Not sure....

I've practiced using my Medela pump a couple of times and I get roughly 2-3 ounces total when I pump for 20 minutes. I stop at 20 minutes, should I keep going if milk is coming out?

Also when should I pump? After I feed her...before...? I know AM is best.

Would love some advice for this FTM. It seems like we just conquered the boob, now it's time to conquer the pump. :P
    Proud mama of baby Natalie. Born 5-19-12, 8 lbs, 5 oz, 22 inches. She's gonna be tall and strong!

Default Re: FTM- About to Start Work Again

One more question.....how do I know if the horns fit ok? I'm using a 27mm and it's snug but my nipples don't rub on the sides......what's a good tell?
    Proud mama of baby Natalie. Born 5-19-12, 8 lbs, 5 oz, 22 inches. She's gonna be tall and strong!

Well, I would say the 4-5 oz is a function of the bottle myself. Some are far too easy for a baby to drink from. Have your caretaker use paced bottle feeding. It's a way to feed the baby. I don't have links myself, but if you ggogle it, sme links pop up.

How long to pump...it depends. If you have an OS, you might want to stop. If you don't, you should pump until you stop seeing drops unless you are in there compressing things. And you should be using breast compressions anyway.

You can pump whenever it suites you. Some moms find morning's better, others don't. Sme pump one side and nurse the other simultaneously.

There are some photos on the Ameda website that show well fitting horns. If you get sore after a few days of pumping, no matter what it looks like, they don't fit.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katwoman24 View Post
    She's 6 weeks old right now but she's a bigger baby, probably 12 pounds at this point. I've had to supplement a couple times and she's drank 4-5 ounces in one setting! Does this mean I'll need like 20 ounces on my first day back to work stored up? In other words, I'm not sure how much I need to leave my DCP. Or what does bottle pacing mean? (someone mentioned this on the other forum). Not sure....
    Size is irrelevant to how much milk your baby needs. The rule of thumb is 1-1.5 ounces per hour you are gone. A 4-5 ounce bottle is huge for a newborn. Babies can stop the dripping of the bottle so they drink or choke; thus finishing a big bottle doesn't mean that was all needed. That is why paced bottle feeding is important. Some info here:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

2-3 ounce bottles are more appropriate for a newborn, and not more than 4 ounces per bottle.

I've practiced using my Medela pump a couple of times and I get roughly 2-3 ounces total when I pump for 20 minutes. I stop at 20 minutes, should I keep going if milk is coming out?
    I don't think it matters. It sounds like you are well on your way to being covered for your first day back (2-3 ounces is good output), so I woudn't worry about stopping

Also when should I pump? After I feed her...before...? I know AM is best.
    It's usually best to pump after a feeding so that your baby doesn't decide to nurse then get angry when she has to work really hard for milk because you just pumped.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Another article on paced feeding:

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the helpful advice and links. Like I mentioned, I'm a FTM so this is all VERY new to me. I love this forum, so easy to ask questions and get straight answers from moms who have been there and done that.

Thank you!