Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 12 Weeks - What gives?

Default 12 Weeks - What gives?

Hello! This is my first time posting on this forum. I'm not sure if I should actually be posting on the pumping forum or here, but I figured I'd start here. I am BFing my 12 week old baby girl and have been since birth. We've had a rough start with a lot of the typical BFing relationship brings as well as two rounds of mastitis in the first month. She has a suspected dairy intolerance, but since cutting dairy out of my diet she had seemed to be doing well.

Fast forward to today. She just won't nurse. I have been working a lot so she had a lot of bottles on Thursday, 1/2 her feedings Friday, a few on Saturday and almost all of her feedings yesterday. Today she won't nurse well. I don't know what to do.

I always pump in the morning after her first feed and usually get about 6 oz. Today she has been nursing for quick short sessions and still seeming hungry, so I've been pumping after her feedings and I got 4 oz. around 1:00, but only 2 oz. total at 4:00 after she nursed for maybe 2 minutes. My boobs doing feel full at all. Am I losing my supply for some reason? She seems frustrated when trying to nurse like nothing is there. Do I do a power pumping session tonight after she goes to bed?

Any advice? I really don't want to give up, but don't have much support around and I have 4-year-old twins that stay home with me in the summer so they are suffering because this is consuming so much of my time. Its like there is always something going on that makes BFing difficult for her and I.

Default Re: 12 Weeks - What gives?

No, she might be developing a bottle preference, or she might be able to fill up quickly, or she might be having a growth spurt. Keep switching her back and forth. Don't quit. Don't pump. Just keep switching back and forth. If she gets upset, stop and go do smething else for a while.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: 12 Weeks - What gives?

with Susan, at worse it sounds like bottle preference is setting in, it is reversable, lots of nursing is the key. Also make sure your baby is being bottle fed in a breastfeeding supportive way during separations: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

if baby is out and oput refusing to nurse, try these ideas: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/