Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EPing nd 3.5 month old weight gain... questions

Default EPing nd 3.5 month old weight gain... questions

I am EPing and bottle feeding my daughter. She was born at 7 lb, 13 oz. At her two month check up, she weighed 11 lb, 2oz... and the doctor said she was in the 40-something percentile and that was fine for her. I had her weighed today, which is four weeks later, and she only weighs 12 lb, 4 oz. Is that an OK weight gain? I am pumping and bottle feeding... no formula whatsoever... and I feed on demand. Whenever she is hungry I feed her and even when I "think" she might be hungry, I offer the bottle and let her eat unless she pushes it out with her tongue. I don't want to "force feed" her.... just to feed her. She has plenty of wet and dirty diapers a day... and her poop is mustard color, not green indicating too much watery milk... she is getting plenty hindmilk in my pumped breast milk. Also, she sleeps great and is a very happy baby....

My son was a big baby and a big eater... and I'm wondering if I'm just expecting her to be like he was as a baby? She is smaller than he was.... and should I be worried about her weight gain?

Default Re: EPing nd 3.5 month old weight gain... questions

2 weeks ago you were nursing some. What happened?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hi! Yes, I am still desperately trying. I feel like we might be slowly making some progress. She is VERY comfortable at the breast.... she has loved falling asleep there while being rocked, she licks at me and shows a lot of interest, but has only latched a few times for short periods of time. Not really feedings.

I was just discouraged when we had her weighed. My husband keeps telling me she is fine and to stop worrying, but I guess I thought she should have gained more by now. Like my post said, she is VERY happy and I feed her on demand. She is having a good number of wet and dirty diapers a day....

Then don't worry about it.

Do you have help from an IBCLC? Have you thought about giving bottles via an SNS instead? Every bottle you give decreases your chances of getting baby to the breast 100%.
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogsp...reastfeed.html
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yes, both IBCLC's that I have met with basically have had no other options. One LC I have been in contact with a lot during this process and the last time I saw her, about two weeks ago, just treated me like, "well, if it hasn't happened by now... it probably won't". She even made a comment at one time saying, "she is too old". So, then I met with another LC and she helped absolutely zero. Didn't give me any new ideas or anything. They both made me feel as though now that the baby is 3 mo. old... it is too late.

As far as an SNS... I do have a starter SNS. Should I use it at the breast even though she is rarely latching? Or should I try some finger feeding? She is sucking on my pinky lately......

I would get a Lact-aid myself. It's a but different than a starter SNS. But try finger feeding first, and check out the link. And I'd call another IBCLC. And make sure they Re IBCLC. Many LCs are good, but e IBCLCs have extra training and experience.
    Susan