Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sensitive nipples, nausea...what does this mean?

Default Sensitive nipples, nausea...what does this mean?

So, for the last week or 10 days, I've noticed my nipples are quite a bit more sensitive than usual when nursing DS (now 8 months). At first I attributed it to a day where I pumped a lot but I've been pumping the usual amount since then and not at all over the weekend and they're still quite sore/sensitive when he nurses. I've also been having intermittent nausea for about the same time period. DS has recently started mostly sleeping through the night (usually wakes once or sometimes not at all) so I wonder if I'm ovulating again, though I haven't had a period yet.

I have an IUD in place, so pregnancy isn't likely, but the combination of sore nipples while nursing and nausea is making me wonder. I'm just curious if anyone else has had these symptoms and NOT been pregnant? Could it just be the return of ovulation or something else causing this? If something else, what else?

I will be picking a pregnancy test up on the way home from work today just to settle the question once and for all, but I really don't think I'm pregnant, since I have an IUD. And if I'm not pregnant, then what else is causing this? I can deal with the soreness but it's not the most fun thing while nursing, so if I can make it go away, that would be nice. Thanks in advance for any input

Default Re: Sensitive nipples, nausea...what does this mean?

I think you should take the pregnancy test before considering anything else. It's the most obvious explanation. I can't actually think of any other explanation except maybe your period is about to start, but if it's been going on for 10 days that's probably not it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Yeah, it would definitely be the most obvious explanation, especially if I didn't have an IUD. But those things are supposed to be >99% effective! So I would be really surprised. And I guess that's why it didn't occur to me until this morning that I could be pregnant. We had planned on waiting longer to have another child, hence the IUD, but if I were pregnant I'd be happy and we'd welcome the child. I do hope not, though. It was our wedding anniversary this weekend and we did a fair amount of drinking Saturday night, so that's not good if I'm pregnant It just really didn't occur to me that it was possible until this morning.

I'm going to try not to freak out either way until I know for sure.

On the off chance that are pregnant, don't let one night of drinking freak you out. From what I've read, one tipsy evening is unlikely to have negative consequences for a fetus. A pattern of frequent drinking would be much more troublesome.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Early on in pregnancy (the first 2 weeks) I don't think one drink would really pass to a baby anyway. I have a cousin who got pregnant with an IUD in place. I did have nausea quite a bit the first couple of years, though, from low blood sugar but if this is sudden for 10 days it probably isn't the reason.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Phew! Ran out and got a pregnancy test on my lunch break, took it...NEGATIVE! That's good news, this time Thank you all for your help/reassurance re: the alcohol thing.

Guess I'll just wait and see if the nipple soreness improves on its own I don't think it would be thrush this late in the game, would it? We've never had thrush before. The nausea I could write off as me working too hard, burning the candle at both ends...I've had it happen before that when I'm tired enough, I get nauseous, so maybe that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I think you should take the pregnancy test before considering anything else. It's the most obvious explanation. I can't actually think of any other explanation except maybe your period is about to start, but if it's been going on for 10 days that's probably not it.
    On my last cycle I had 4 nights in a row I woke up in the middle of the night so nauseus I couldn't sleep. And 3 weeks straight of horrible nipple pain. I took a pregnancy test and almost took a second because I couldn't believe it was negative. After 3 weeks of this, AF hit and the nipple pain disappeared overnight. I only recently got AF back post-partum, and I'm just apparently having wacky cycles.

If ts not pregnancy, it's probably hormones. Your hormones may ramp up and down for months before AF ever appears. Mine get very sensitive when I'm ovulating too...like so sore I can't stand pumping and practically rip the horns off
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I get very sore and sensitive around ovulation and the couple days before my period and the first few of my period.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thanks everybody for the input. Based on your experiences, it sounds like I'm probably ovulating and/or about to get AF again. Oh well, I can deal with the soreness. Just glad nothing is wrong. Thanks again!