Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush...again.

Default Thrush...again.

Hi all.

My LO is 5.5 months and has great weight gain. We are EBF still (yay!).

This is our 4 or 5th thrush infection. We both take probiotics, I also take garlic And zinc, which I read are good for fighting thrush.

In the past I have tried nystatin twice -helped but didn't work either time. I Am currently using canseten, which has decreased my pain somewhat. The pain is not severe, maybe a 4/10, but it just won't go away! The cracks that were present have healed thankfully.

I used gentian violet one time, but hated it and don't really want to use it again.

I have been good about washing with vinegar And changing bras and pads all the time.

During other episodes I gave rinsed babies mouth with baking soda water, and tried rinsing my nips with vinegar solution.

Long story short, I am at the end of my rope with this. We have been fighting thrush on and off since 8 weeks. So on and off for a total of 16 weeks. I am done with it and want to be able to feed without pain and to not have to constantly be using supplements or meds to even feel somewhat ok.

I hAve also consulted with 2 ibclc who seem to have no further ideas.

Help!

Thanks so much

Default Re: Thrush...again.

Can you tell us exactly what symptoms you're having, and whether baby was ever treated beyond a baking soda water rinse?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The way I treat yeast infections...Diflucan. One time, and it's done.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Baby has had gentian violet, which got rid of the thrush for 3 weeks. She has also been on nystatin twice - didn't work either time. And she takes probiotics 2x per day.

We also tried homeopathics - borax, and Kali mur. Neither worked.

Right now it's more my issue than hers - she has no signs of infection.

I currently have pain in the left nipple constantly, worse while feeding. The right one has gotten better over the past few days. Nippers are also more pink than usual.

Should I request diflucan from my doc?

Thanks

I'd go for the diflucan.

For both mama and baby, I think. Otherwise it's just going to get passed back and forth over and over and over.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Do any of you have experience with dr jack newmans all purpose nipple ointment?

It looks like diflucan is very strong anti fungal not even recommended for breast feeding mothers? However I see it recommended on lots of sites.

Worst part is that I likely won't even be able to get into my doc. Usually takes a couple of week.

Any tips in the mean time?

I have used APNO, but we still needed Diflucan to get rid of it with my third. And it is Ok for nursing mothers AND babies.

ETA:call your doc, they may just call it in.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!