Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Giving my 6.5 month old water or glucose water.

Default Giving my 6.5 month old water or glucose water.

How much water should I give my child if I choose to do so?

She has been getting solids and doesn't seem to pee as much as she used to. I feel that she isn't getting the right amount of liquids. She gets solids breakfast lunch and dinner. And a bottle before each meal. I usually wait an hour between solids and the bottle. She only eats 3 times for solids and maybe 4 bottles a day..

Should she be eating more times a day?

Also she seems to be constipated or having a hard time going poop.

Default Re: Giving my 6.5 month old water or glucose water.

At 6.5 months, solid food is usually just for experimentation and play - this is no particular amount that she "should" be eating at this point. Are you breastfeeding the rest of the time? Or is 4 bottles the only liquid she's getting? That doesn't seem like enough if the latter. She shouldn't need any water - breastmilk should provide all the liquid she needs. If you choose to give her some water, at this stage it should be a small amount. Breastmilk would do a better job of helping with constipation tham pure water if that's the issue.

This page has some more information:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...ds/baby-water/

Is your baby still nursing? If you are nursing on demand, then I would offer water but not get concerned if she doesn't drink. A baby that is nursing on demand gets all the water they need through nursing.

The constipation may indicate that she is not ready for the amount of solids you are giving. You may need to cut back a little, many babies are just starting to taste solid food at 6.5 months. You also mention that you are giving bottles, are these formula or expressed breast milk?

Water: yes, in a sippy cup along with her solids. But it should be primarily for play, since nursing should meet her requirements for liquids.

Glucose water: no. Bad for her teeth, bad for her developing taste buds. Also, no more helpful for constipation than regular old water.

You should suspect constipation in a baby who is nursing and eating solids when:
    - Baby is eating lots of solids (not just a teaspoon or two of them a day, which is all many babies do eat at first)
    - Baby is routinely going multiple days between poops AND
    - The poop is dry, pellet-like, and hard enough to roll right off the diaper AND
    - Baby seems severely uncomfortable when pooping (crying, turning bright red with effort)

If constipation in the problem, here's what to do about it:
    - Nurse more (breastmilk has a mild laxative effect)
    - Remove constipating foods from baby's diet (bananas, rice, apples, bread products, cheese)
    - Concentrate on feeding baby "P" fruits (Pears, Peaches, aPricots, Plums) and other soft fruits (blueberries, cherries)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't breastfeed anymore, i stopped at the 6 months. She is on Gentleast Enfamil formula. I suspected that we were probably feeding her too much solid foods, I'm a first time mom and don't know. I'm learning, and my daycare provider (she's a little idk, pushy) says that she must get 3 feedings of cereal a day, it's important if she doesn't. I don't know much but we are learning. Other than having hard poops, she seems ok. I will cut back on her solids and see if that helps. Thanks for the help ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post
    Is your baby still nursing? If you are nursing on demand, then I would offer water but not get concerned if she doesn't drink. A baby that is nursing on demand gets all the water they need through nursing.

The constipation may indicate that she is not ready for the amount of solids you are giving. You may need to cut back a little, many babies are just starting to taste solid food at 6.5 months. You also mention that you are giving bottles, are these formula or expressed breast milk?

The formula may be causing the constipation. You can offer water in a sippy cup or expressed breast milk and see if that helps. We also had good luck with fruit.

Formula is constipating. You may need to try some other formulas - my SIL had constipation problems with some of the kinds that she tried. Cereal is contipating too. I would stop the cereal altogether and only give fruits and veggies. P-foods are good for constipation: Pears, Peaches, Plums/Prunes, aPricots, Peas. Cereal is pretty much just empty calories anyway and is totally unnecessary.

If you can express some breastmilk, then that would be ideal (far better than water) because it has laxative properties plus all of the nutrition your baby needs. If not, then a little water might help.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).